You are here

iPad edition, landscape mode but no zooming?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: iPad edition, landscape mode but no zooming?

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:53 am

Forum Admin wrote:
CS70 wrote:Thank you Ian - I somehow had forgotten that the PDF version is available, and that of course would solve my not-yet-admitting-I-need-glasses problem.

Now I have just to remember where it is... :D

This help guide link will, ahem, help you for sure:
How to find and access your SOS Digital sub features

Thank you! However, my neurons are still in the queue for coffee so can't find it.

1) I am thoroughly unfamiliar with SOS subscription types (once a year I simply go on the iPad and say "just take my money!"). So I don't know if I have a digital subscription. The only thing I am sure of is that I do access the mag in the IPad application.

2) I went on my account on the web, and under "Subscriptions" I see nothing and there's nothing under "Downloads"

3) The email address/account I use here (CS70) and the one I use on the IPad app are the same (I just found I had to restore all purchases yesterday there, but surely it's because the app had changed as you described).

Perhaps I don't have a digital subscription?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am

CS70 wrote: I am thoroughly unfamiliar with SOS subscription types (once a year I simply go on the iPad and say "just take my money!"). So I don't know if I have a digital subscription. The only thing I am sure of is that I do access the mag in the IPad application.

Have just checked your CS70 SOS account and it is indeed void of any subscription. This confirms to me that you have bought your iPad sub directly from Apple iTunes via the In-App Purchase mechanism.

The downside of this is that we do not receive 100% of the subscription money, Apple keep a chunk, and they do not give us any customer data so we cannot provide the extras that we give to people who buy a DIGITAL subscription directly from soundonsound.com site - see www.soundonsound.com/subscribe

We are not allowed by Apple's app terms to put any sales message on our app to encourage users to come to our site to buy a sub. But my best advice is to cancel your auto-renewal of the subscription, and when near the end come to soundonsound.com/subscribe and buy your Digital sub directly from us to get all the extras outlined on that https://www.soundonsound.com/informatio ... igital-sub page.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 am

ManFromGlass wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:
Also zoom is very useful for these old eyes!

Martin Brody, Chief of Police on Martha's Vineyard wrote:"You're gonna need a bigger iPad"

I’m still waiting for the day when I see somebody pressing a 12.9” ipad to the side of their head using it as a phone.
:headbang:

You may just have invented the Padphone.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am

Forum Admin wrote:
CS70 wrote:This confirms to me that you have bought your iPad sub directly from Apple iTunes via the In-App Purchase mechanism.

That's interesting. I've no idea how I subscribed. Without getting yourself into trouble with the fruit-based overlord, how would I know?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:23 am

shufflebeat wrote:Without getting yourself into trouble with the fruit-based overlord, how would I know?

On the SOS website here, at the top next to your log-in name, click on the red 'My Account' button, and when that page opens click on 'Subscriptions'.

You will then see a page which displays any subscriptions you hold now or have previously held directly with SOS.

Eg: SOS UK Edition [W] August 2019 (12 months)

If there's nothing showing there but you do currently have an iPad subscription, it must be via Apple and, as Ian explained, SOS will have no information about it at all.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:09 pm

shufflebeat wrote:That's interesting. I've no idea how I subscribed. Without getting yourself into trouble with the fruit-based overlord, how would I know?

:-) I can tell you, after checking that you had a Digital sub directly with SOS commencing with our November 2018 issue, which lapsed after October 2019 issue.

So, as Hugh suggested, if you still have a tablet iPad sub (and I can see that you did indeed install v11.4.1 app already) then you've fallen foul of the Apple trap and renewed your sub via their In-App Subscription link in the hamburger menu of the app. As I said, we can't officially tell you not to do this, but it generates so many Support Desk tickets from disgruntled longterm subbers who suddenly can't open the new issue web articles on our site or download the Full Issue PDF from their MY ACCOUNT library.

My advice? Cancel auto-renew on your iPad and one month before your last issue on tablet, renew your sub directly with SOS -- choose DIGITAL sub -- and gain all those extra benefits. :thumbup:

You can login to your iPad using both AppleID and SOS Login simultaneously, so you have access to all issues from both providers.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:40 am

Forum Admin wrote:...and gain all those extra benefits. :thumbup:

Looking forward to it.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Previous