You are here

Sequencing with a minilogue

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sequencing with a minilogue

Postby pancake_lizard » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:48 am

Hi, I’m fooling around with a Korg minilogue and trying to get the best out of it, I want to create some cool ambient sequences with the step sequencer but there are only 16 steps and even when I low the bpm down to the minimum that is hardly enough to get creative with and make some cool sounds. Does anyone know how I can get the most out of the synth? I’m sure 90 percent of what the synth is capable of is unknown to me because I haven’t spent the time to untap it’s potential. Thanks for the advice.
pancake_lizard
Poster

Re: Sequencing with a minilogue

Postby The Elf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:54 am

Hook it up to a computer and a DAW and your world will no longer end at the 16th step!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby SteveFlesh » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

I have a minilogue XD but I think what I describe below is the same for both the original Minilogue and the XD.
Rather than reduce the BPM you can change the step resolution in the Sequence Edit page to slow the sequence down (of course you could always do both)

Additionally you can use arp mode in conjuction with the sequencer (I discovered this only last week)
Chuck in a dotted delay for good measure and you can get some pretty good evolving sequences, and that's before you you even get into recording motion controls.
SteveFlesh
Poster

Postby Chet Leeway » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:06 pm

You can probably get a 2nd hand Arturia Keystep for around £100. Up to 64 steps, arpeggiator, live modifications of sequences etc.
Chet Leeway
Regular