You are here

No input signal on Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

No input signal on Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB

Postby fictionman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:07 am

Hi everyone,

Yesterday everything was working smoothly but today, I have no signal from all of my 8 inputs on my Clarett.
The outputs are ok, when I playback some audio in VLC, Google Chrome or my DAW (Pro Tools 12), everything works fine.
But no input anymore, I can't recording anything (instrument, mic or line signals).
When I say no signal I mean NO SIGNAL at all. Nothing from the 8 inputs.
So I have updated everything : Windows 10 and the Focusrite drivers. But no luck.
Everything is configured well in the Focusrite software control, I checked it up several times. I precise that the problem appeared before updating everything.
I have contacted Focusrite support but still waiting for an answer.
Has something like this ever happened to you? If yes, how did you fix it?
I thought it was a software problem but I begin to ask myself if the inputs are physically damaged... Even if there was no shocks at all, no thunderstorms the past week.
Please help if you can :)
Thanks a lot
fictionman
Poster

Re: No input signal on Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB

Postby wireman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:39 am

I'm not familiar with this interface, some answers to these questions might help others.

What are your inputs, are they mic, line and if mic only do they need the phantom power.
The back panel has a monitor output, does it have a direct monitor of the input and if so does that work?
wireman
Regular

Postby fictionman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:09 am

wireman wrote:What are your inputs, are they mic, line and if mic only do they need the phantom power.

The inputs are combo XLR/jack TRS.
Only inputs 1 and 2 can receive instrument signal (there's a switch in the software control for instrument or line/mic signal). On the front panel of the interface, there are two 48v switches : 1 for inputs 1 to 4 and one other for inputs 5 to 8. In my case, I used dynamic mics so the two phantom power switches were off. I also tried to plug a guitar and a bass on input 1 and 2 (with inst swith on in the software) and NO SIGNAL too. I tried different cables but still the same issue.

wireman wrote:The back panel has a monitor output, does it have a direct monitor of the input and if so does that work?

There are jack TRS on the back panel. I assigned output 1 as the direct output of the input 1 but NO SIGNAL too. Really nothing.

Thanks for your reply.
fictionman
Poster

Postby wireman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for the extra info. I was trying to find out what you had connected to the inputs in case you only had phantom power mics and it was possilbe the phantom power had gone.

Have you shaken or moved the interface?

Does it have a way to reset to factory settings?
wireman
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:59 pm

I have something similar with my ancient Focusrite interface (although it is only the analogue outputs that are affected in my case). Sometimes clicking on random buttons on the software control panel fixes it while at other times accessing it via the WDM drivers rather than ASIO will get it to work.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby fictionman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:41 pm

wireman wrote:Thanks for the extra info. I was trying to find out what you had connected to the inputs in case you only had phantom power mics and it was possilbe the phantom power had gone.

Have you shaken or moved the interface?

Does it have a way to reset to factory settings?

I tried to shake the unit and reset the software control to factory settings but no luck.
fictionman
Poster

Postby fictionman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:42 pm

James Perrett wrote:I have something similar with my ancient Focusrite interface (although it is only the analogue outputs that are affected in my case). Sometimes clicking on random buttons on the software control panel fixes it while at other times accessing it via the WDM drivers rather than ASIO will get it to work.

How can you access it via WDM drivers?
fictionman
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:54 pm

A few ideas:

- you're connecting the mics via XLR cables, not the jack inputs, right? In this latter case, they probably switch to expecting a line signal, so the mic signal can be too weak
- you don't see anything on the front panel meters, right?
- the routing is correct and most critically, the inputs aren't muted?
- you can try to bypass the A/D converters by connecting some source to the S/PDIF inputs - sometimes even TVs have S/PDIF out and any RCA cable will more or less do (you're supposed to use 75 ohm cables but for a quick test it will do).

If all of that still gives no sound, I would think something's broken.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Reboot the computer, reboot the device. reset focusrite control to factory settings.

Ask yourself, what changed between the last known working state and the first known failure. undo.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby fictionman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Watchmaker wrote:Reboot the computer, reboot the device. reset focusrite control to factory settings.

Already done several times.

Watchmaker wrote:Ask yourself, what changed between the last known working state and the first known failure. undo.

That's the problem, nothing changed...
fictionman
Poster

Postby fictionman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:34 pm

CS70 wrote:- you're connecting the mics via XLR cables, not the jack inputs, right? In this latter case, they probably switch to expecting a line signal, so the mic signal can be too weak

Yes I connected the via XLR cables. I try different XLR cables too.

CS70 wrote:- you don't see anything on the front panel meters, right?

Nothing on the meters. Inside or outside the DAW.

CS70 wrote:- the routing is correct and most critically, the inputs aren't muted?

Yes the routing is set to factory settings and the inputs are not muted.

CS70 wrote:- you can try to bypass the A/D converters by connecting some source to the S/PDIF inputs

I will try.

CS70 wrote:If all of that still gives no sound, I would think something's broken.

I begin to think this is the thing. But still wondering how it could be broken without shocks, thunderstorm or other electrical problem like this. And again : the outputs are working smoothly when I playback any audio within or without the DAW. Only the inputs are affected by the issue.
fictionman
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 pm

fictionman wrote:
James Perrett wrote:... at other times accessing it via the WDM drivers rather than ASIO will get it to work.

How can you access it via WDM drivers?

If your software doesn't support WDM (which is the standard Windows driver), download a copy of Reaper - it offers a variety of different driver types to choose from in the Audio Device Settings menu.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:59 am

Seems like it's a routing issue. Maybe uninstall focusrite control and reinstall?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby CS70 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:15 am

fictionman wrote:
CS70 wrote:If all of that still gives no sound, I would think something's broken.

I begin to think this is the thing. But still wondering how it could be broken without shocks, thunderstorm or other electrical problem like this.

Yeah since you have re-installed everything already. the hardware user controls are minimal and you've checked the routing accurately, things point to that. Worth to check if bypassing the A/D section produces sound - but even if it does, it'd just tell you where the problem is.

You could try to open it and see if all chips are sitting well in their sockets or there is something obviously out of place, but if that invalidates the warranty, it is best to contact Focusrite and get it fixed or replaced. As I hear, they stand by their products and have good support so they should be help you.

As of being broken.. electronics are very reliable, especially after the first period of bed-in, but manufacturing is manufacturing.. nothing is perfect.. Heating/cooling cycles, small tolerances which accumulate in the wrong direction, microscopic imperfections in materials that alter the geometric properties of pins just so slightly and make components pop out of the sockets.. you name it. The probabilities are very small, but still non-zero, unfortunately.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Rockrooms » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Have you tried looping back an output channel into one of the inputs, i.e. monitor output 1 into line input one, then playing back audio. Are the input meters showing any signal?

If you disconnect the unit from the USB connection and try feeding an input do you see any signal ?

It does sound very odd that the device outputs are working but not inputs. As suggested, might be worth trying SPDIF/ADAT input.

Is the clock source set to internal?

In Focusrite control, what version of firmware is shown ?
Are any of the channels showing as muted?
Rockrooms
Regular

Next