You are here

No input signal on Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: No input signal on Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB

Postby fictionman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:39 pm

Rockrooms wrote:Have you tried looping back an output channel into one of the inputs, i.e. monitor output 1 into line input one, then playing back audio. Are the input meters showing any signal?

I tried, nothing appears on the meters.

Rockrooms wrote:If you disconnect the unit from the USB connection and try feeding an input do you see any signal ?

Nothing appears too...

Rockrooms wrote:It does sound very odd that the device outputs are working but not inputs. As suggested, might be worth trying SPDIF/ADAT input.

I don't know how to do this because I've never used the SPDIF thing.

Rockrooms wrote:Is the clock source set to internal?

Yes.

Rockrooms wrote:In Focusrite control, what version of firmware is shown ?

The very last one.

Rockrooms wrote:Are any of the channels showing as muted?

None is muted or soloed.
fictionman
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm

fictionman wrote:I don't know how to do this because I've never used the SPDIF thing.

What you need is a source (cd player, dvd player, radio, tv, amplifier.. ) which outputs digital audio (that is, a data stream) in S/PDIF format, and a proper cable. Usually it's simply written "S/PDIF Out" in the output socket.

Most often the cable is an RCA cable on both ends (also called "phono jacks", see for example https://hifi-freaks.no/cambridge-audio- ... o-1-m.html ).. that's the format that goes into the 8PRE - you just have to check the format of the source, but it's likely to be RCA as well.

You simply connect the source - say a cd player - to the 8pre and start playing the cd...

Since the signal is already digital, the A/D converters are bypassed and that signal goes more or less directly to the USB controller so that the driver can transfer it to the computer memory.. if you hear sound, it means that the problem is in the preamps, the converters or their analog front end.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby fictionman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:03 pm

CS70 wrote:
fictionman wrote:I don't know how to do this because I've never used the SPDIF thing.

What you need is a source (cd player, dvd player, radio, tv, amplifier.. ) which outputs digital audio (that is, a data stream) in S/PDIF format, and a proper cable. Usually it's simply written "S/PDIF Out" in the output socket.

Most often the cable is an RCA cable on both ends (also called "phono jacks", see for example https://hifi-freaks.no/cambridge-audio- ... o-1-m.html ).. that's the format that goes into the 8PRE - you just have to check the format of the source, but it's likely to be RCA as well.

You simply connect the source - say a cd player - to the 8pre and start playing the cd...

Since the signal is already digital, the A/D converters are bypassed and that signal goes more or less directly to the USB controller so that the driver can transfer it to the computer memory.. if you hear sound, it means that the problem is in the preamps, the converters or their analog front end.

Thanks for the tips!
But I'm pretty sure I don't have a source with a SPDIF output, and I don't have the proper cable...
fictionman
Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Does the interface play back from the PC? By that I mean a radio or YT sounds?

If so you have a S/PDIF source, the one on the AI! I have never tried this but I am sure you could set incoming audio to digital out and link that to digital in and see if you have a S/PDIF input.

No cable? RCA to RCA can be found almost anywhere. Rock bottom, It's a Gift, Sainsburys (the latter will rip you mind)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby JackFocusrite » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 am

Sorry to hear that you're having problems, certainly an odd one!

We're a bit slower to reply than we'd normally be at the moment due to various factors (all caused by covid-19) so my apologies that we hadn't replied to your support ticket before now.

I've just sent a reply to your ticket with a few things to check, hopefully we can get this resolved for you ASAP.

Best,
Jack // Focusrite Tech Support
JackFocusrite
Poster
Jack // Focusrite Technical Support
http://focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Postby wireman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 pm

fictionman wrote:
wireman wrote:Thanks for the extra info. I was trying to find out what you had connected to the inputs in case you only had phantom power mics and it was possilbe the phantom power had gone.

Have you shaken or moved the interface?

Does it have a way to reset to factory settings?

I tried to shake the unit and reset the software control to factory settings but no luck.

Er, I was more concerned the unit had been excessively shaken or jolted recently, was not advising shaking as a measure to try!
wireman
Regular

Postby fictionman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:11 am

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that this issue has been resolved by Focusrite support.
It was not a software/digital problem but a hardware one.

I have no extra information about what was precisely the trouble but they asked me to send the unit back to their services and shipped a brand new one to me in a record time.
Honestly, their support service is exceptional!

I'd like to know the long and short of it but I'm not pretty sure they will tell me what was the hardware failure after opening the unit in their workshop. We'll see :)

So now I can work again smoothly with a full working audio interface :)

Thanks everyone for your help!
Cheers
fictionman
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:36 am

Glad you're up and running again :thumbup:
FWIW I've always had good service from focusrite as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous