You are here

Looking for the best way to setup my studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Looking for the best way to setup my studio

Postby Latchkey09 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:00 pm

So I’m looking to see which is the best way to go about setting up my studio. I have a MacBook Pro with a Behringer UMC 404 HD audio interface and my gear is Elektron Digitone, Behringer Crave, Arturia Drum Brute Impact, and Arturia Beatstep Pro. I also have an Eventide Timefactor Delay Pedal and Donner VerbSquare for hardware effects. I have a MIDI Thru box from MIDI Solutions. I’m looking to route everything together into my DAW Logic Pro X. Please if someone can help with the best way to go about setting so everything is fluid. Thank You!
Latchkey09

Re: Looking for the best way to setup my studio

Postby resistorman » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:26 am

You’ll need an interface with more than those 4 inputs. For my synth rig I use a Tascam Model 12 with great results even when I don’t want to fire up the computer.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:09 am

Latchkey09 wrote:So I’m looking to see which is the best way to go about setting up my studio. I have a MacBook Pro with a Behringer UMC 404 HD audio interface and my gear is Elektron Digitone, Behringer Crave, Arturia Drum Brute Impact, and Arturia Beatstep Pro. I also have an Eventide Timefactor Delay Pedal and Donner VerbSquare for hardware effects. I have a MIDI Thru box from MIDI Solutions. I’m looking to route everything together into my DAW Logic Pro X. Please if someone can help with the best way to go about setting so everything is fluid. Thank You!

Cannot help*, sorry but don't get talking to Tony, you will never get away!

*Actually a mixer might be worth investigating.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:41 pm

You can use Elektron's Overbridge software so all the Digitone channels appear in Logic without using the inputs, then use the Behringer inputs for the mono mix of the drumbrute and the crave, with 2 spare inputs if you wanted to use any of the drumbrute individual outs.

The effects you could plug into the inserts on the interface if you were happy to use them on the audio on the way in to the DAW (I presume there must be software routing to control the inserts?) or use 2 outputs from the interface into the effects and back in through the spare inputs of the interface - the effects will be on separate channels in logic then. That will give you the effects in mono though.

If you wanted more flexibility you might need an interface with more inputs or a mixer
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:25 am

ef37a wrote:Cannot help*, sorry but don't get talking to Tony, you will never get away!

*Actually a mixer might be worth investigating.

Dave.

:D :D :D

I’d go for a bigger interface, the Behringer UMC1820
Yes, a mixer would help, but you’re into big space and bucks as you need one with a few sub-groups, otherwise you’re relegated to recording one or two things at a time, benefits of a mixer? adding hardware effects via aux sends, EQ, live mixing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:53 pm

The aforementioned Model 12 is a multichannel interface amongst other things :D
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:22 pm

resistorman wrote:The aforementioned Model 12 is a multichannel interface amongst other things :D

Yeah, the Tascams are good, I was thinking about one at some point, but decided against it.
I really don’t need the recorder, or the effects, I decided on just an interface in the end, with a little help from a Mackie 1202 as a small sub-mixer.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Latchkey09 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Awesome thanks guys! Means a lot!
Latchkey09