You are here

Floating Floor

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Floating Floor

Postby Doublehelix » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:41 am

I am starting to draw up the plans for my new control room in my basement...finally a separate live room and control room!!! :)

I'm sure I am going to have a boatload of questions regarding window type and installation, etc., but for right now, I am concerned about floating the floor.

Auralex makes these " U-Boat Floor Floaters " to go underneath the floor joists. I am not sure of the price, but if it is from Auralex, you can bet they are not cheap. Are there other products that anyone can recommend?

Thanks!
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Re: Floating Floor

Postby Driller » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:36 am

Hey DH. What about a few layers of sheetblock type material? I know sheetblock isn't cheap either (a generic alternative perhaps?) but maybe less than the U-boats (you've gotta love their product names! :) ). BTW keep us updated on your progress, I'll be following this closely

cheers
Driller
Driller
Regular
Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit

Postby Tempus Fugit » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:45 am

My studio has a floating floor and its made from strips of neoprene available from studiospares followed by t&g chipboard (I have a second layer too. You can speak to the Isobooth brains at Studiospares for some more detailed info.

Maybe the Auralex stuff will work better? I used this design as it is recomended as the floor for the isobooth I have. Another great purchase, really cuts down the sound, weight is over 1000kg so not recomended for upstairs!!!
Tempus Fugit

Postby forumuser729356 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:28 am

You may want to look at Paul Woodlocks floating floor section of his studio build diary

He is converting a double garage into a studio - and created a floating concrete floor
His thread is a MUST read for anyone attempting to build a home studio
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=107
forumuser729356
Regular

Postby Jon Jon Jon » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:17 pm

cut up some old thick car tyers into strips.
Jon Jon Jon
Poster

Postby Driller » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:17 pm

You may want to look at Paul Woodlocks floating floor section of his studio build diary

He is converting a double garage into a studio - and created a floating concrete floor
His thread is a MUST read for anyone attempting to build a home studio
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=107

Nice link Simon cheers for that

Driller
Driller
Regular
Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit

Postby giles » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:23 pm

i'm a professional carpenter; to date i've built three floating floors for apartments & two for sound studios;
the most economic & effective system i know is this;
lay carefully 60mm rockwool bats wall to wall; don't use any floor joists; use 18mm osb floor plates with T&G edges; lay all the boards in one direction directly on top of the RW bats leaving a gap of about 40mm between the floor edge & the wall; next place another layer of boards on top going in the tranverse direction ie 90° to the first layer; finally screw the two layers together to form one large floating plate; you can then lay your stud walling on the edge of this floor for vertical construction without touching the outer walls. i'm sitting on one of these flors now it's about 50sq m & carries the wieght of a large band and all their eqipment + the walls & cieling; there is a very slight give to it like an old fashioned dance floor which is very comfortable. The first one i built in 1982 is in perfect shape.
G
G
giles
Poster

Postby Doublehelix » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:37 pm

I am interested Giles as to why you do not use any floor joists. Won't the rockwool compress and cause the floor to warp and tilt (along with the vertical walls!)?

My plan is to float the floor using neopreme-type rubber (U-boats or other) under the floor joists with rockwool in-between the joists, and then double-layered sub-flooring on top of that.
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:05 pm

Sheet block is NOT a suitable decoupling material for structural use ina floating floor.

It's too dense and thin , and

Actually U-Boats seem pretty reasonably priced in comparison to other products I've seen over the years.

Pay close attention to the usage specs of materials before deciding to use them as floating floor isolators.

Likewise, R10 is suitable only for use between floor layers NOT for isolating Floor Joists.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby giles » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:12 pm

the floor doesn't sag at all because the construction makes the floor into one continuous plate thus spreading the load; it's a standard method for creating a room in a room with a floating floor; I'm sitting on one now; it's about 40/2M. under the rock wool is a concrete screed which is carefully levelled but i have built two of these on top of wooden floors. Joists are completely unneccesary & are a major transmitter of sound. We have a whole band in here regularly no problem.
G
giles
Poster

Postby Ric_westyorks » Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:21 am

I suspect that floating the floor as a layer rather than on joists will last longer without bottoming out after a few years. ie not compress the mineral wool batts as much.

Where you are using cradles or neoprene strips to support a floor, the joists/battens are to give a high enough loading (mass/m2) on the resilient layer to provide sufficient isolation from the structure.

In concrete floating floors, the mass has to be high enough to preload the resilient layer (spring) to give sufficient acoustic/vibration isolation. This principle is applied to machinery as well as recording studios and acoustic labs. Modern concert halls use the same principles.
Ric_westyorks

Postby Jazz_Woodbine » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:02 pm

Can i build a floating floor on rockwool on top of existing floor boards? This sounds like quite a cheap way to build a decent floor. Would a similar setup work to soundproof walls i.e layer of rockwool, chipboard, more rockwool, layer of chipboard? or is there a cheaper/easier way? I'm completely new to soundproofing but need to make a small soundproof space in my flat or my neighbours will kill me!!
Jazz_Woodbine
All this music is getting in the way of my technology!!

Postby calamity » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Jazz,

Yes you can, but obviously the denser the rockwool the better, I built a drum riser of 75mm RW5 rockool and put two sheets of plywood on top 12mm thick. It's stable enough, if you are doing a whole room, I'd recommend using RW6 (if you can get it) and thinner slabs, not really sure about doubling it up though.

If you look for a thread called :-
How can I make an acoustic de-coupler drum riser
there's some pictures of what I did.
calamity

Postby Doublehelix » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Here is the link to the thread that Calamity is talking about:

Drum Riser Thread
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Postby Grant B » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:10 pm

I really like the sound of this single plate for the floating floor as the physics of it means that you do not get any point loading, meaning the RW will last longer etc etc. But how does any ventilation get underneath the floor ? One of the points of the joists in a "normal" floor is to allow the floor to "breath"? :?

Next point - which is me being really thinkystupid in the corner - but what grade of RW and where can you buy it in the UK?
Grant B
It's not my fault

Next