Fantastic chance to win Røde NTR Ribbon Mic Pair worth $1600£1000
Røde may have made their name in the home studio with high-quality, affordable condenser microphones such as the NT-1 and NT-2, but perhaps one of their most exciting offerings is the NTR, the company’s first ribbon mic. We were certainly impressed with it when we reviewed it in June 2015
The NTR boasts a range of unique design features, setting it apart from other ribbons on the market. First is the separation between the ribbon element itself and the body of the mic, which is meant to allow the greatest possible acoustic transparency around the ribbon element and minimise resonance. The ribbon element itself is designed completely from scratch, using extremely fine aluminium that is only 1.8 microns thick — one of the thinnest ribbons in existence. In order to create such a thin ribbon element, Røde developed their own innovative technique to laser-cut the ribbon, giving a level of precision and accuracy never before seen in a ribbon microphone.
The laser-cut ribbon element is paired with a high-output, ultra-low-noise, low-impedance transformer. Combined with active electronics, this allows the NTR to be used with a wide range of preamps without the additional gain requirements of many other ribbon offerings.
The NTR’s distinctive grille that surrounds the ribbon element is a chemically etched all-metal layer of mesh — the same used on the company’s SMR popshield. This is extremely rigid while exhibiting super-low density, which Røde claim results in greater acoustic transparency.
Røde don’t show any signs of slowing down after the release of the NTR, with parent company Freedman Electronics recently acquiring the highly-respected Soundfield brand. At their recent 50th anniversary celebrations, the company announced the brand-new VideoMic Soundfield, marking a move into the burgeoning immersive audio space, as well as the NT-RV, a valve ribbon mic.
We’re delighted to have two pairs of Røde NTR ribbon microphones up for grabs this month, each pair with a value of $1600. To be in with a chance of winning, enter before Monday 8th May. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by Røde Microphones
The small print
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Røde and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.