Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Stevedog

Loc: Mercia
Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for?
      #712030 - 28/02/09 03:33 AM
Dragon Midi Controller

If this is for real and it would seem it is... what an amazing piece of kit... I want one, gotta love the fact he is a Trek fan as well the interface is so slick, but the plug-in controller, has to be the best bit of new kit design i have seen.. I want one...

--------------------
nibbled to death by an Okapi http://www.soundclick.com/tubilahdog

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
wardo

Loc: sydney
Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: Stevedog]
      #712033 - 28/02/09 04:49 AM
WOW!
and can only imagine what the world of touch screen will bring as more of these devices are invented and the technology matures. i want one too!

Aftertouch

Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: Stevedog]
      #712059 - 28/02/09 11:48 AM
I couldn't quite make it out from the video - were they real encoder knobs on the panel on the left hand side or were they virtual ones?

narcoman

#712064 - 28/02/09 12:10 PM
real knobs.

brilliant concept. Love it.

jellyjim

Loc: uk
      #712065 - 28/02/09 12:13 PM
don't see why it wouldn't be real

the touch screen panel is not new tech obviously and videos of prototypes of those stick on the screen encoders (yes they are physical real ones) were floating around a year or so ago

looks cool, it's only a matter of time before all the multiple point touch screen lemur like technology filters down to joe schmoe, i'm surprised somebody like NI or m-audio hasn't come out with a lemur clone yet

.. and yeah, love the star trek next gen aesthetic lol!

--------------------
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Edited by jellyjim (28/02/09 12:14 PM)

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #712075 - 28/02/09 12:59 PM

Words fail me due to awesomeness.

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

desmond

Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: jellyjim]
      #712076 - 28/02/09 01:00 PM
I've been saying for a few years now about how conventional controllers just don't do a good job. What I always wanted was a control surface of knobs, switches etc, but on a configurable *screen*, so the panels, labels and groupings could be totally under software control, changing the look and feel of the panel, but giving real controls. You could go further and make the whole panel a touch screen, so you could provide software configurable buttons/switches, in addition to the real controls.

This would go a long way into turning the control surface from a synth one minute, to a compressor plugin the next and so on.

It would seem this is going along similar lines. Interesting...

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#712110 - 28/02/09 02:52 PM
Much moistness.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Henry-S

Loc: UK, Cornwall
      #712113 - 28/02/09 03:19 PM
My wallet is saying you cannot afford it.... but everything else just says wow

Imagine if they can custom screen for the liquid mix... they could basically could custom for anything that comes out, with a touchscreen and picture interace? It would just be like digitalling controlling the hardware.

--------------------
There is nothing Grim about this Reaper
We Fell From The Sky

Stevedog

Loc: Mercia
      #712117 - 28/02/09 03:42 PM
They have asked the b guy how much it all cost.... The actual physical controller is a converted Behringer rotary model... The touch screen is made from a Cheap LED screen and he is using a very low spec second comp to drive it all..

The plug-in controller could easily be brought in at under a couple of hundred, given it's the software that is the chief R & D problem..

--------------------
nibbled to death by an Okapi http://www.soundclick.com/tubilahdog

hifistud2

Loc: Near Sunderland, UK
      #712314 - 01/03/09 01:19 PM
I think I want one... that looks sooooo handy and speedy.

--------------------
[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/hifi-studios/117322741632389[/url]

. . . Delete This
Here be Dragons

Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: hifistud2]
      #712317 - 01/03/09 01:32 PM
ohh good grief...... i'm in lust again..... i don't NEED it... but it is SO cool, I just want it anyway....

hifistud2

Loc: Near Sunderland, UK
Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: . . . Delete This User . . .]
      #712504 - 02/03/09 12:09 PM
Well, ain't none of us gonna get it, it seems:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242084&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0

--------------------
[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/hifi-studios/117322741632389[/url]

Paulo Egidio

Re: Check this out.... The midi controller we all have been waiting for? new [Re: hifistud2]
      #712512 - 02/03/09 12:26 PM
First of all, thank you all for your comments.

Second, it IS real. We use it everyday... i.e., most every night :-)

Third, there are 2 lcd screens: one with 22 real encoders and 22 real buttons attached to a glass OVER the lcd lscreen. This is positioned vertically.

The second one is the touch screen. This is positioned horizontally.

And finally, you MAY buy it. Please see this discussion below.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/369415-fresh-ap proach-daw-controller-2.html

This is a copy of my original post there: (prices are in US$)
----------------------------------------
Hi...
I am a little bit overwhelmed by all this interest.

The bad news: if I had to build ONE, it would be at least a grand.
The good news: If I had to built 5 I think that I could build them for around $500 (plus shipping). If I had to built 10, $350.

Note 1: I will require an bcr2000. It would be best if you send me one. Here, in Brazil, it costs US$300. There it should cost half of that price.
Note 2: The plugin will be something transparent, intended to be put over an 15 inch lcd screen. This screen should be one of the monitors within the computer that runs cubase/nuendo.

And please bear in mind that the touch screen software will be included with the package, even if you don´t use it. To use this, you will need a second computer.

At this moment, this will work only with cubase and probably nuendo.
However, I think it would not be difficult to port it to another daw platform. Again, it depends on how many people will need it.

Please let me know who is interested, and also keep in mind that I am opened to suggestions.

Paulo
Dragon Studio
Sao Paulo
Brazil

Edited by Paulo Egidio (02/03/09 12:28 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 4241

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media