The government's UK copyright law site outlines the IPO and Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, the principal legislation covering intellectual property rights in the United Kingdom and the work to which it applies.

Main Forums >> Music Business
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sonicparticle

Loc: London, UK
Registering tracks with PRS
      #948451 - 21/10/11 05:26 PM
Hey all

I need a bit of help here please! I composed/ mixed/ produced three tracks, for three different contracts, for a single broadcaster.

All three tracks represented three different contracts. Each one of the tracks was attached to six bumpers.

So in total these tracks was used in 18 sponsorship bumpers. But each one of the bumpers "enjoyed" several slots of air-time.

Here are my questions:

1. What claim can I make from PRS?

2. These bumpers were about 7" long (for the first contract) and 10" seconds for the other two. Is there any money to be made here really?

3. I work for the broadcaster at a different capacity than the one of the composer. And I also have access to their scheduling system hence I have the exact times and dates that these bumpers aired across the channels the broadcaster. Would anyone know if I could submit these to PRS and make a claim from that? I contacted PRS using their online contact form but never heard from them!

4. And a side note here: In the contract, 50% of the publishing goes to the broadcaster (yes, I know, but let's not argue about this here). I looked in the PRS database to check whether the broadcaster might have registered the tracks with PRS but it doesn't seem like it.

How should I proceed?

Any help would be greatly appreciate it!

PS: Someone in the broadcaster mentioned that they are using Soundmouse for the short form stuff and PRS for all the long form license. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Cheers again.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Re: Registering tracks with PRS new [Re: sonicparticle]
      #948528 - 22/10/11 09:54 AM
You mention you looked in the PRS database? This suggests you are already a PRS member? (otherwise you wouldn't have a login for the database...)

Quote:

I contacted PRS using their online contact form but never heard from them!

Yeah, they're good like that, aren't they?

If the broadcaster is being the "publisher" of the works (and taking 50% of the royalties) it would've made sense for them to register the works with PRS, otherwise there won't BE any royalties lol... but if they haven't, or won't (perhaps check with them, to avoid duplicate registrations?) you're perfectly entitled to register them yourself as you also have an interest in them.

Details of how to submit a usage claim would best be discussed and chased with PRS...

Soundmouse are an "audio fingerprinting" service, who maintain a library database of recordings, and then take an audio stream of broadcasters' output, and their computer system can automatically analyse it for matches and produce a log of recordings broadcast.

Both PRS and PPL are, I gather, currently in the process of trialling the use of Soundmouse to analyse usage on radio and TV, rather than relying on broadcasters sending them in cue sheets and playlists.
Obviously this only works if your recordings are in Soundmouse's library, otherwise their computer can't match them.

I've been trying for some months to get my stuff on Soundmouse's database, they are apparently maybe giving me a beta account to use...

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3253

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media