You are here

Recommendation for good in ear phones

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Recommendation for good in ear phones

Postby Andy W » Tue May 29, 2012 8:47 am

Morning all,

Can anyone recommend good in ear headphones that can be used for monitoring? I normally use closed back Sennheisers but it's a bit painful on the ears when I wear glasses as well. The budget would be around £100 - £150.

Any advice appreciated. Many thanks.
Andy W
Poster

Re: Recommendation for good in ear phones

Postby SecretSam » Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 am

If by closed-back Sennheisers you mean HD-25s, I know what you mean. They squeeze my ears like an angry Jesuit working on a suspected heretic. However, this is probably what gives them their excellent bottom end and isolation.

I am also a four-eyed git, and have always found Beyer Dynamics comfy (DT-770s are wearable for hours and are closed back ... although their isolation is not as good as the HD-25s). The open-back Sennheisers (inlcuding the legendary HD-650s) are nice as well. All these headphones fit around the ear rather than on top of it, which might explain a bit.

I never did find in-ear phones comfortable for long periods, and their sound varies according to how far they get stuffed in your ears, which is not ideal.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Andy W » Wed May 30, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the DT-770s and the HD-650s. I agree that in ear don't work for long periods, plus I worry a bit about hearing damage.

Thanks again.
Andy W
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 30, 2012 8:06 am

Greetings!

Are we talking monitoring whilst recording in noisy situations (and/or studio tracking) or "studio" mixing of previously recorded stuff - or all of these?

Whatever it is I personally wouldn't use in-ears - just too many variables and difficult to get an accurate assessment of what's actually going on.

Bearing in mind your budget, if you want a decent set of cans for mixing and critical listening I'd suggest a listen to the AKG K240 MkII. They're open-backed so no good for monitoring if recording in noisy environments - but very good for the money and very comfortable.

If you need maximum attenuation of external sounds then I like the Sennheiser HD380 Pros. Excellent isolation - better than most of the purpose-designed 'isolation' headphones - and reasonably comfortable. I can wear mine for 2+ hours no problem - and I also wear specs. However, I wouldn't choose these for critical mixing listening - the AKGs are much better for that IMHO.

HTH. Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster