You are here

Control room designed as small theatre

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Control room designed as small theatre

Postby itsmiked » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:54 am

Hi, I have been asked to submit a proposal for a new recording space for my school in Beijing,China. My initial idea is to create a control room which could double as a small 30 seat theatre. Our film students/music department would use it to show films of performances etc. The music department and Film department would also use the space as the control room for "Studio A". There could be a retractable screen at the front of the room with a window behind the screen looking into a live room. The live room would be big enough for band (orchestra and rock) rehearsals. We would build 2 smaller studio spaces for recording voice over/vocals/single instruments etc. with small control rooms for mixing/editing music and film (possibly on headphones).

Is this a good idea? Can a control room work as a theatre? - the more use of the space, the more chance of this being built.

Any thoughts appreciated

MIke
itsmiked

Re: Control room designed as small theatre

Postby GIK Acoustics » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 am

Hey Mike,

Though it would be good for auditioning tracks, I don't think it would work great as a control room honestly. It would be very difficult to achieve even levels of reverberation in the space across the frequency spectrum, or even anywhere near close. In other words, you can make the room sound good, but I don't think you will be able to use it as a critical listening area.

Is there a possibility to instead have the theater room as the tracking room, and have the control room on the flipside? This makes much more sense to me.
GIK Acoustics
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 am

I'd take a look at designs for movie mix rooms - they often have to accommodate large consoles and could well be big enough for what you are planning.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Goddard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:58 pm

You mean something like this (on smaller scale and with the studio window behind the screen)?

For the separate smaller studios and/or any other performance venues where you'd record regularly, maybe consider setting up CCTV (with a projector in CR) and running all wiring to/from your CR to breakouts in those rooms, unless you really want or need separate CRs too.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby itsmiked » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 am

Hi

Yes, this sort of thing. However, if it was a control room as well as a mix stage, then would I put the desk near to the screen rather than the back of the room? Also if it was built more as a theatre, would this be OK for mixing music? Is it a case of good control room-bad theatre or bad control room - good theatre? Or can it actually function well for both purposes? The picture looks great, however our room would be much smaller! Maybe 30 or 40 chairs.

Thanks
itsmiked