You are here

Yamaha Bass?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Yamaha Bass?

Postby Jon Dinham » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Hiya everyone, i am joining a band and i need to buy a bass guitar. I think yamaha make good bass guitars so what is the main difference between the RBX374, RBX270 and RBX170? Or is Yamaha not the right make? I can afford up to about 280 pounds but i'd like to spend the least possible.
Jon Dinham
Poster

Re: Yamaha Bass?

Postby twotoedsloth » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 am

Go to the store with a friend, and tell him your price range. Have your friend bring you all of the basses that fit in your budget, but make sure he doesn't tell you the prices. Play the basses, all of them, and then pick the one you like the most. Don't even consider the relative price or the badge on the instrument.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:07 am

I can't comment on the current Yamaha range, but I do have a couple of their basses, bought years ago (Japan-made BB5000A and Taiwan-made BB5000AF).

They play well, sound good and are very well made. Because Yamaha doesn't seem to have the cachet of some other brands (beats me why not; they make great instruments of every kind), their secondhand values tend to be low, so you can get professional-grade instruments for not a lot of money if you look around.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby grab » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:08 am

Friend had a bad experience with a Yamaha bass that had active EQ. Ate batteries. I finally took it apart and found that they'd painted the inside of the electronics compartment with conductive paint which was shorting the battery out bcos they'd wired the jack's switched connection wrong. Also the nice glittery plates on headstock and body weren't glued on very well and came unstuck after a bit. And the tailpiece was slightly too far up the body so it physically wasn't possible to adjust the bottom-E bridge to be correctly intonated.

On the plus side, tone was pretty good.

Washburn are also worth looking at, in this kind of price range.

Main thing to check is what pickup type works for you - do you want the low-down rounded grunt of a humbucker, or do you want a bit more zing? Only way to find this out is by playing a few.
grab
Frequent Poster