WIN! Golden Age Premier Preamps worth over £1000$1200.
Bo Medin’s Golden Age Project were one of the first companies to bring a Neve 1073-style mic preamp to market at a price within reach of home-studio owners. In the ensuing years, they’ve delivered several other homages to classic studio mics, EQs and compressors. Bo’s most recent development, though, is a more upmarket range of products, going under the Golden Age Premier name. The idea is still to deliver great value, but at a slightly higher price that eliminates any need for compromise in component choice, styling or build quality.
Back in SOS November 2018 we reviewed their valve microphone, the GA‑47, and praised it as a “convincing U47-style microphone at a reasonable price”. In March 2019 we put their pair of half‑rack‑width mic preamps, the Pre‑73 and PreQ‑73, under scrutiny: SOS Technical Editor Hugh Robjohns not only tested them with a range of mics, but also captured individual test measurements from each unit on his Audio Precision analyser — and, again, found lots to like. Both of these hand-wired mic preamps feature UK-manufactured Carnhill transformers as standard, and offer “masses of mic gain and headroom” with a consistent high-frequency response at all gain levels, as well as “versatile EQ options”, including an inductor EQ on the PreQ‑73 and an ‘air‑band’ 30kHz high shelf on the Pre‑73. There’s also a “nice-sounding DI mode, with plenty of gain and headroom”. In short, they both make great, vintage-style front ends for recording a range of mic, line and instrument sources. For more details about these preamps, read the SOS review at https://sosm.ag/ga-premier-pre-73s.
This month, two lucky readers have the chance to win one of the preamps Hugh tested, complete with manufacturer’s warranty and one of Golden Age’s Unite Premier 19-inch rackmounting kits.
For your chance to win, submit your entry here by Friday 02 August 2019.
Prizes kindly donated by Golden Age Premier.
The small print
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Golden Age Project, Golden Age Premier and Golden Age Music and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winner’s name and county/state will be made available upon request.