One very lucky Sound On Sound reader will win a special place on Abbey Road Institute's four-day ‘Song Production Masterclass', worth £2,750$3,440.
What’s it like to produce and record a song from start to finish at Abbey Road Studios? Experience this for yourself at Abbey Road Institute's inaugural ‘Song Production Masterclass’, a 4-day experience which will take you through the full recording process. Led by multi-award-winning producer Haydn Bendall, you’ll immerse yourself in each of the stages of recording, mixing and mastering at the world’s most famous recording studios.
Haydn brings a wealth of experience and expertise, much of it gained through his years as an engineer and then senior engineer at Abbey Road. Haydn will be joined by the accomplished cellist, composer, arranger and conductor Audrey Riley and her orchestra, as well as percussionist extraordinaire Lauren Kosty. Together this expert team will record and produce a song by up and coming indie rock band The Kings Parade.
You’ll be introduced to Abbey Road’s priceless microphone collection by the Studios’ in-house expert Lester Smith, learning about the history of the collection and how mics are chosen for different sessions.
Spending the first 2 days recording in Studio Three, where Pink Floyd recorded Dark Side Of The Moon, you’ll see all the different stages of recording a song, from microphone selection, live room set up, tracking and recording management to orchestration and arrangement.
Day 3 will be spent mixing down the track with Haydn in the Studio Three control room. On the final day, you'll learn how award-winning Abbey Road Studios mastering engineer Christian Wright puts the final touches to the track, getting it ready for release. The Masterclass will end with a review and reflection on the four days to wrap up the session. You’ll leave with insights and an understanding of behind the scenes at Abbey Road, which have previously been unseen by the public.
Duration: 4 Days, 10:00am – 18:00pm
Masterclass Dates: 29 August – 1 September 2019 (Thursday – Sunday)
For your chance to win, submit your entry here by the closing date of 12 August 2019. Good luck!
Prize kindly donated by Abbey Road Institute.
The small print
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- The course is based in London, UK and the prize does not include flights nor travel/accommodation costs. The winner will need to pay for these.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Abbey Road Institute and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winner’s name and county/state will be made available upon request.