Win yourself a fabulous SSL SiX compact desktop mixer, worth £1199$1499.
For decades, Oxford-based company Solid State Logic have been furnishing the world’s largest and most prestigious recording studios with the world’s most powerful and flexible mixing consoles. The company’s 4000-series mixers have dominated the market since the 1970s, and in 1996, the company estimated that 83 percent of all US number-one singles had been recorded through an SSL.
Fast forward to the 21st century, when more and more hit records were being produced in smaller project studios. SSL responded by releasing spin-offs of their mixer technologies, such as the XLogic range of rackmount processors and channel strips, and eventually the X-Desk — at the time, the smallest SSL console ever, and a huge success.
But the demand was there for an even smaller SSL that would suit the space and budget of even the most modest of studios, and earlier this year the Oxford console gurus wowed us with their brand-new SiX: a compact desktop mixer that nonetheless boasted the outstanding technical performance and routing flexibility we’ve come to expect from SSL.
The SSL SiX boasts the company’s proprietary SuperAnalogue™ circuitry throughout...
Named after its six input channels (though it can handle a great many more!), the SSL SiX boasts the company’s proprietary SuperAnalogue™ circuitry throughout, and has no fewer than four compressors built in: one on each of its two mic/line inputs, a stereo bus compressor on the output (based on that found in the renowned G-Series consoles), plus SSL’s infamous ‘Listen Mic Compressor’ on the talkback input. Those first two inputs can handle instrument sources (thanks to a Hi-Z switch), and also benefit from a surprisingly flexible two-band EQ, in which each band can be independently switched between shelving and bell-shaped EQ curves.
Other features include two stereo line channels, two stereo cue outputs, and a comprehensive monitor control section that includes source and speaker switching, a headphone out, plus mono, dim and mute controls. And thanks to its cue bus and external line inputs, the SSL SiX can handle an impressive 12 different sources at mixdown.
When SOS Technical Editor Hugh Robjohns reviewed the SiX back in SOS April 2019 (https://sosm.ag/ssl-six), he concluded: “It’s impossible for me not to fall in love with this sweet but extremely capable little console and think up countless applications and justifications for purchasing one.” High praise indeed! And for this SOS competition, you could be the lucky reader who wins one.
All you have to do to enter is answer the questions on the right and submit your entry by Friday 3rd January 2020. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by Solid State Logic.
More info: www.solidstatelogic.com
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- In entering this competition, you confirm that you are aged 18 years or older.
- By submitting your entry, you agree to supply Sound On Sound and the Prize Donor with a photograph of you and the prize(s) plus some words about winning the prize. This may be used on each company's website, email newsletter announcements and/or social media channels. Your name will be abbreviated to first name last initial and your town/city/country, eg. Peter G of New Orleans, USA.
- Please DO NOT ENTER if you do not agree to these terms.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, Solid State Logic, and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.
- The winning entrants name and county/state will be made available upon request.