You are here

Mixing Advice

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mixing Advice

Postby paul007 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi,

I have just recorded an acoustic guitar through a compressor into Logic 5.5. The sound I have got is lovely, however I have added some reverb to it and where I used a pick to play the notes I get a lot of pick attack coming through and I want to keep the clarity but loose the pick echo I am now getting. The reverb is very subtle but seems to accent this. Are there any techniques or suggestions I can use to get rid if this and smooth out the sound? My current plug ins I am using on the track are an Expander then EQ, the reverb is going through a bus channel. I was going to put a compressor after the EQ but not sure how to set it to get what I want.

Please help.

Thanks Paul
paul007
Regular

Re: Mixing Advice

Postby _.jk._ » Sat May 03, 2008 5:50 pm

could you use a de esser? or consider using a parametric EQ to manulaly find the pick frequency and cut it a bit

James
_.jk._
Regular

Postby E D » Sat May 03, 2008 6:11 pm

there's a better way.

Put the reverb on a bus send. set the reverb to 100% wet and either lower the early reflection to tail ratio, or put an enveloper plugin before the reverb and set it to dim attacks.
E D
Regular

Postby MaTr1x2051 » Sat May 03, 2008 8:39 pm

The expander actually seems to be the problem in this case. You end up accenting the picked notes with this... the reverb is just responding to the expander. If you want a smoother sound, kill the expander. Or if you absolutely must live with it, set it so that the expansion is much less than it is right now.

Messing with reverb settings is going to be a hassle, and won't sound natural. Adding compression with complete null the effects of both the expander and the comp.

Either get rid of the expansion, or tame it quite a bit.
MaTr1x2051
Regular