You are here

ZOOM H5 & Hissing sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: ZOOM H5 & Hissing sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Which setup did you use for the sample files? Do you notice the problem before noise reduction and what sort of noise reduction are you using?

By lively, I mean that I can hear some very short room reverberation - mainly on the 'follow' sample. This very short reverberation gives the sound a slightly more tubby quality. On listening again to the other sample it doesn't sound as lively as I first thought.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 20, 2020 2:50 pm

The Rode NTG1 is a shotgun mic, which wouldn't be my first choice for most internal recording as the nature of the mic itself can cause weird filtering issues.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Samples used the NT1 and one or the other of the interfaces. One for each clip, if I remember.

I did notice the problem before NR and the NR process is in the effects menu in Audacity. Set to -6db, sensitiivity of 6 and a freq rolloff of 6.

The distordions/resonances/whatever we're calling them were/are present on the original record, that and many many others recorded over the last week have this flaring on them.

About reverb, the room is blanketed and acoustically foamed to deaden or reduce external noise and not to sound too much like a cupboard! Room reverb is the last thing I'd expct to hear!

I can see there's a lot I need to learn; it's never as easy as just plugging something in and talking. But I always thought it was...
acxrw
Poster

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm

blinddrew wrote:The Rode NTG1 is a shotgun mic, which wouldn't be my first choice for most internal recording as the nature of the mic itself can cause weird filtering issues.

Understood Andrew, it's my fall-back mic that does gove me good results in this context.

The issue I'm having is with the mics* that I have purchased to take that out of the workflow, an NT1 and an NTa1 with AI1 interface and Focusrite Scarlett.

*but as is being discussed, no-one here thinks it's the mics.
acxrw
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Are you using ASIO drivers in Audacity? Have you tried any other software?

Blankets and duvets are good at damping high frequencies but they won't deal with low frequencies and it is the build up of low frequencies that I'm hearing. It isn't disastrous and I've heard far worse voice over recordings. The longer clip is also much better sounding in this respect although it still sounds like there is a bit of bass lift which could be down to your proximity to the microphone.
James Perrett

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 4:04 pm

ooh, regards AISO drivers, I don't think so. If I'm right, the Mac uses Core Audio, do forgive me, I'm used to using Audacity to just trim and tweak, I have very limited experience with DAWs.

I try and keep about six inches away from the mic (whichever one I'm using) though a pop shield.

Are bass resonances something to do with the sound building up in the corners of the space? By 'bass lift' do you mean more bass freq? All I get when I google are things to lift drums up.

Told ya, I'm very new to this sort of thing.
acxrw
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 4:31 pm

acxrw wrote:ooh, regards AISO drivers, I don't think so. If I'm right, the Mac uses Core Audio, do forgive me, I'm used to using Audacity to just trim and tweak, I have very limited experience with DAWs.

Sorry, I'd forgotten that you were on a Mac. It might still be worth trying a different recording program in order to eliminate Audacity as the problem - I'd suggest downloading Reaper and giving it a try.

acxrw wrote:I try and keep about six inches away from the mic (whichever one I'm using) though a pop shield.

Are bass resonances something to do with the sound building up in the corners of the space? By 'bass lift' do you mean more bass freq? All I get when I google are things to lift drums up.

Yes, when I say bass lift I mean more of the bass frequencies which is the result of the microphone's proximity effect. You may still have some proximity effect at six inches away but it depends on the exact design of the mic. It is difficult to damp bass in a small room as the amount of treatment required would pretty much fill the room.
James Perrett

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Right, here you go, james.

This one's fresh. The phrase is '...or you already have one, and want to know more about the breed..." please listed to the word 'already' - what's going on there?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9qoimi8rn45t ... e.wav?dl=0

It was a test record done a few minutes ago with the NT1 feeding into the HS, recording to SD card, record level set to 5.

I keep my record levels to allow for post RMS normalisation, so I just bumped the level up a touch so it's easier to hear.

So getting my Spock on again, the mic is the only difference in my current record chain. I'm stood at roughly the same postion I always am to the mic, so what's causing that distortion? It must be how the mic is picking up the audio, therefore its in the wrong position or there's something about the room that's causing this with this mic. (and the NT1a)

Genuinely scratching my head about this. But for now, I'm rolling back to the NTG1.
acxrw
Poster

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm

regards Reaper, I see that thown about a lot. I should look into it I guess...
acxrw
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 5:18 pm

acxrw wrote:Right, here you go, james.

This one's fresh. The phrase is '...or you already have one, and want to know more about the breed..." please listed to the word 'already' - what's going on there?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9qoimi8rn45t ... e.wav?dl=0

I must admit I can't hear anything strange about that.
James Perrett

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Me neither from a technical perspective... but I do hear what I think are 'resonances' within the voice box/mouth.

As someone who spends most of his audio life working with voices I'd be perfectly happy working with this voice/recording - inasmuch as I can judge with three-seconds. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 6:43 pm

OH - wait, is - is it *ME*?!

Just my speech that makes these odd resonances?

Is that ...normal?
acxrw
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Well, it's not abnormal! :D

That's why for vocalists matching the mic to the voice can be so important.

I spend a good part of most days listening to and editing voice recordings of old, young, male, female, professionals and first-timers...

... it's fascinating to hear voice artefacts of which the 'presenter' is probably totally unaware... sibilancy, resonances, lip-clicks, jaw-clicks (yes; really), gasp-breaths etc etc etc. I don't have a 'good' voice, but I, perforce, record quite a bit myself. I'm now used to removing my unconscious vocal-tics afterwards...

In your case I'd suggest moving back off mic somewhat and perhaps angling it slightly so that it's not pointing directly at your mouth. I find that at forehead and angled slightly down - about 25-30 cms back from the mic - often gives a good sound.

Don't obsess about it. You have an excellent voice; don't try and change it.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Hey, thanks for saying, Mike! That's good to hear, because honestly I've been having a hell of a time of it the last week or so; these mics have made me think twice/three/four times about how I sound (talk about obsessing) and present to the mic and it's damaging my confidence and delivery! Having a completely impartial ear say nice stuff is such a boost! Even if only in a few snatches of spoken word for tests!

At the risk of sounding immodest, I'm starting up in audiobook narration because I'm looking to angle to get voice work, because I think I sound alright too! (Well, I *did*...!)

The thing is, I guess I'm just going with off the shelf, 'what's the bst mic' thinking, I didn't know that some voices are complimented by different mics. I'm using Rode because I've used Rode mics with my camera gear (self-employed broadcast) and everyone says they're the best for the price. BUT I do seem to make them resonate weirdly; I mean there's *something* in the extracts I've posted. Unless I've completely lost it and just gone ear blind.

But I don't think I have; I've worked in telly long enough to know if something sounds off and those sound off. Others don't you see, which is why it's such a headsqueezer.

I'm chewing through a book I've now got to rush 'cos I've been getting all twisted up about how the RX sounded. When the dust has settled on it, I'll look into different placings of the mics and see how I get on. I guess it's a good thing I got a boom arm! All I have to do is figure out where to mount it.

...and then what to put on the end of it.

And, oh boy, you've not heard MY jaw click; it'll make the missus look around sometimes. And she's on the other side of the room!
acxrw
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:You have an excellent voice; don't try and change it.

Yes, definitely. You have a great voice and a great ability to bring the text alive. Listen to what Mike says and don't get hung up on the minutia, the listener will not notice, just accept that they add 'character' to your voice.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext