You are here

Can I run UAD plug-ins on Satellite without UA interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Can I run UAD plug-ins on Satellite without UA interface?

Postby solidwalnut » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:22 pm

CS70 wrote:
Just to make things more fun - it works also the other way:...

If I am hearing you correctly, you mean that it works only for you during recording, but not mixdown? I understand that all that's needed is the DSP to be anywhere, but the Apollo interface uses UAD DSP to process and then converts to analog-only out, correct?

I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks.
solidwalnut
Life's too short to think you're all that.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Just to confirm what Hugh said I had a satellite as well as an Apollo back when they were giving satellites away free if you bought an Apollo. I had both on my iMac but as an experiment tried running the satellite alone on my Macbook Air. Plugins worked fine in Logic, no issues at all.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby santellavision » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:14 pm

I am asking a similar question. I run Pro Tools 12 with an Apogee Element 24 I/O Interface. All works perfectly. I just bought the UAD-2 Accelerator to run more and better plugins.

My issue is, I just bought the UA Friedman Guitar Plug-in and it only seems to want to run within the UA Console App. You can't run it in real-time directly in Pro Tools, it has to be used in the UA Console App.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the UA Console App to find the Apogee 24 I/O as an input. So, my question is... do you HAVE to own a UA Apollo or similar UA brand I/O?

If this is true, then UA need to state that you CANNOT run this Plug-in unless you have their own I/O Interface.

I just emailed UA and they haven't gotten back to me.
Anybody have any info to help me confirm this?
Thx
santellavision

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 am

santellavision wrote:My issue is, I just bought the UA Friedman Guitar Plug-in and it only seems to want to run within the UA Console App. You can't run it in real-time directly in Pro Tools, it has to be used in the UA Console App.

Are you saying it's not available as a regular plugin to put on an audio track? That's unusual, as I would have thought all UA plugins can be used as conventional track plugins. I just checked here and in Logic I can pull up any of the Friedman plugins and they behave just as regular plugins.

santellavision wrote:The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the UA Console App to find the Apogee 24 I/O as an input.

The Console app is for Apollo audio interfaces only. It's effectively the audio interface's mixer front end. You can't use it without an Apollo.

santellavision wrote:So, my question is... do you HAVE to own a UA Apollo or similar UA brand I/O?

No, the Friedman plugin is stated as requiring *either* an Apollo or UAD-2 DSP card.

santellavision wrote:If this is true, then UA need to state that you CANNOT run this Plug-in unless you have their own I/O Interface.

Well, I don't have an Apollo, and I can run it fine.

Note though, that this is only practical when inserting the plugin on playback. You can't really *record* through *any* UAD plugin because of the inherent latency in a DSP based system, which is much higher than regular plugins because of the DSP roundtrip to shuffle the audio to the card, get it processed, and then returned to the host.

This is a big reason why the Console app was developed, as with Apollo interfaces, they have a custom low latency system to get the audio processed via plugins with Console *before* being sent to the host, which minimises the latency and makes realtime tracking through these plugins workable. Without an Apollo, UAD plugins should be really regarded as mix-only plugins, because of the high latency.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:37 am

Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Previous