You are here

Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Cheap 2 channel interface for Windows 10?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm

The Elf wrote:and deserving of a cautiously open mind.

A good philosophy for life in general.... :)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Yep, they do a lot of good stuff nowadays.

But avoid the DI120 like a plague!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 pm

blinddrew wrote:Yep, they do a lot of good stuff nowadays.

But avoid the DI120 like a plague!

Thanks, I've never had cause to use a DI, but if I do......
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 am

Got home, opened box, installed latest driver. Works fine with W10.
Build quality excellent , sound, more than excellent, better than a lot of more expensive things, or at least "as good" seems clearer, more open, than my Motu, it reminds me of my Focusrite Saffire sonically.
Latency, about 2.7ms but I haven't tweaked it yet.
All in all, I think it was a good choice.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:07 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the sound is more than excellent! Seems very crisp and clear. Absolutely no muddiness to my ears!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am

garrettendi wrote:I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the sound is more than excellent! Seems very crisp and clear. Absolutely no muddiness to my ears!

You're right, I was really surprised, I wasn't expecting it to be so good.
£70 well spent.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 am

:thumbup:

Next thing to do is convince SOS to do a review!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:11 pm

garrettendi wrote::thumbup:

Next thing to do is convince SOS to do a review!

I guess it's among many, and it just does it's job, anyone whose done a bit of research will be aware of it, I bet they've sold loads. It's a bit of a boring sector of the market, cheap interfaces, but it would be a shame for someone to not give the Behringer a chance, it's in a big market sector, loads of people want good bang-for-the-buck, musicians with little or no money, that's a huge area, it should do well, like a lot of Behringer gear, maybe a review isn't going to help it any more.
I've got a Behringer mixer, that's in the same boat, great, no problems, my monitors too, plus some outboard.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:21 pm

That makes sense as it already is a very popular AI
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:37 pm

And SOS don't go and ask companies to review their products. Companies ask SOS to review their products, so it's down to Behringer With the current rate of Behringer new product output, you could easily fill at least 95% of each issue reviews section with Behringer kit, so I suspect Behringer have to be a bit selective about which products they push to be reviewed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Wonks wrote:And SOS don't go and ask companies to review their products. Companies ask SOS to review their products, so it's down to Behringer With the current rate of Behringer new product output, you could easily fill at least 95% of each issue reviews section with Behringer kit, so I suspect Behringer have to be a bit selective about which products they push to be reviewed.

And with exciting synth reissues by the lorry load, an interface isn't very exciting in comparison!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Wonks wrote:And SOS don't go and ask companies to review their products. Companies ask SOS to review their products, so it's down to Behringer With the current rate of Behringer new product output, you could easily fill at least 95% of each issue reviews section with Behringer kit, so I suspect Behringer have to be a bit selective about which products they push to be reviewed.

And with exciting synth reissues by the lorry load, an interface isn't very exciting in comparison!

If you are being sarky Arp'...I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Well, an interface is an interface. Its got X inputs, Y outputs and Z MIDI ports (where Z is normally 0 just to annoy ef37a). They all have decent mic inputs and A/D and D/A converters. There is very little to distinguish between the low cost units once you've listed input signal and gain range, headphone output level, any pads and phantom power provisions. Add in a dynamic range and noise figure and you're pretty much there.

The only real differences are in the control software. So you could do most of the review with a simple table and a short description of the associated software.

Whereas synths make all sorts of different bleepy, bloopy and wishy noises, with multitudes of knobs or control parameters which need a lot of description. And for copies of 'classic' hardware, people want to know how close the sound is.

Synths are sexy, interfaces are simply necessary.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:08 pm

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

If you are being sarky Arp'...I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!

Dave.

No sark intended, it's just true I guess, do I want to read about an interface, or the new Wasp?
I'm thinking though, it may be a good idea to have short reviews of what I would call "utility" equipment, in a seperate section of the magazine? Might not be worth it though.

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Wonks wrote:Well, an interface is an interface. Its got X inputs, Y outputs and Z MIDI ports (where Z is normally 0 just to annoy ef37a). They all have decent mic inputs and A/D and D/A converters. There is very little to distinguish between the low cost units once you've listed input signal and gain range, headphone output level, any pads and phantom power provisions. Add in a dynamic range and noise figure and you're pretty much there.

The only real differences are in the control software. So you could do most of the review with a simple table and a short description of the associated software.

Whereas synths make all sorts of different bleepy, bloopy and wishy noises, with multitudes of knobs or control parameters which need a lot of description. And for copies of 'classic' hardware, people want to know how close the sound is.

Yes but...What sets the Behringers apart from much of the crowd is their very low price. There are people* who want a cheap interface for resons other than impeccunity (aka 'tight') and they are looking for a trusted and accurate report. Are 'buggers telling the truth about specifications? We, the great unwashed, have no way to tell.

*Me for instance. I want a good, low latency AI for my son in France but he will have lost it or loaned it permanently to a mate within a year. (the bloody PHONES we have bought him!!)

Dave. (synths SEXY?? You should get out more....)
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:25 am

ef37a wrote:
Wonks wrote:Well, an interface is an interface. Its got X inputs, Y outputs and Z MIDI ports (where Z is normally 0 just to annoy ef37a). They all have decent mic inputs and A/D and D/A converters. There is very little to distinguish between the low cost units once you've listed input signal and gain range, headphone output level, any pads and phantom power provisions. Add in a dynamic range and noise figure and you're pretty much there.

Yes but...What sets the Behringers apart from much of the crowd is their very low price. There are people* who want a cheap interface for resons other than impeccunity (aka 'tight') and they are looking for a trusted and accurate report. Are 'buggers telling the truth about specifications? We, the great unwashed, have no way to tell.

*Me for instance. I want a good, low latency AI for my son in France but he will have lost it or loaned it permanently to a mate within a year. (the bloody PHONES we have bought him!!)

My partner has similar issues with her son loosing things, now she doesn't buy him anything unless its food or shoes, and even that's under duress, and if he does loose anything or gives it away it doesn't get replaced, and he pays for it. This is a touchy subject for us, but some people need to realise the consequences of, and take responsibility for their own actions. OK if you're son is genuinely strapped for cash, but my partners son does take the p**s sometimes. Rant over.
Honestly, Dave, the Behringer is great value, if you don't want Midi it's even cheaper.
This interface should be at the top of anyone's list, also it's so cheap, you can always replace it later if you really don't like like it, you haven't lost much, but why would you dislike it? I can't think of a reason right now.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:

My partner has similar issues with her son loosing things, now she doesn't buy him anything unless its food or shoes, and even that's under duress, and if he does loose anything or gives it away it doesn't get replaced, and he pays for it. This is a touchy subject for us, but some people need to realise the consequences of, and take responsibility for their own actions. OK if you're son is genuinely strapped for cash, but my partners son does take the p**s sometimes. Rant over.
Honestly, Dave, the Behringer is great value, if you don't want Midi it's even cheaper.
This interface should be at the top of anyone's list, also it's so cheap, you can always replace it later if you really don't like like it, you haven't lost much, but why would you dislike it? I can't think of a reason right now.

No, my son does not take the p. He is a lovely chap. Yes he has lost things, had them stolen and loaned them out but been reluctant to ask for them back. So, I am NOT going to drop 200 sovs on a KA6 Mll for him! I am going to get the 204HD and have a play with it myself (well, I HAVE to get the one with DIN ports don't I!!) He is due home early Jan 2020 for his sister's 50th. Love to see him for Crimble but travel is expensive and in any case I dare say he will get some good gigs over the holiday.

Time to see what 'Zon want for a 204!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Plus, if necessary the HD does 192kHz, although the only complaints that I would have is that the outputs seem a bit quiet, the separate outputs are only on RCA jacks and the main outs are unbalanced.

If anyone was wondering the chipset in the UMC204HD is from XMOS, as I believe all their higer end USB audio devices are, the cheaper stuff uses their own chipset from Coolaudio.

https://www.xmos.com/products/general/silicon
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Previous