You are here

Dept of Red Faces

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Dept of Red Faces

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:47 am

forumuser840717 wrote:On the subject of using the right side of thing, if anyone should have red faces, it's the people responsible for the linked content in the marketing email I received last week from the lovely folks at Focusrite!

https://focusrite.com/news/recording-hill-quartet-clarett-4pre-usb?_hsenc=p2ANqtz-98B5x7sHNX7ySXPAbLM63qdauS20YbwTH7iNtG_vPsAITci-qE2JgT6qhTWziHGpIz5ZngM7n8SPh8El6I_ENWs9ajng&_hsmi=80308100

There is so much fundamentally wrong with the setup in their recording that it's unreal - both sadly depressing and vaguely irritating in its ineptitude, especially when people who don't know any better will see this and could take it as an example of good practice - and sadly everything that one would expect from such a bunch of basic errors is manifest in the recording.

The video element isn't bad; pity about the sound. A shame really as the product itself is probably ok and the quartet definitely deserved better! Focusrite - what were you thinking?! :protest:

Yes to see the skill, knowledge and dedication of the young musicians and then by contrast that of the onsite audio people is indeed depressing.

If only the latter had consulted much more experienced audio recording people, before going public, this could have been avoided.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Personally, I would be reluctant to commit to a straight-to-stereo balance using only headphones -- although it can be done given sufficient experience and confidence.

I can rember having a few arguments with Mike Skeet about headphone monitoring, I insisted we use speakers, but he wanted phones. His faves were Sennhieser HD600's.
This was all part of his desire to take away as much as possible and still come up with good results, and to go to sessions on a motorbike.
A handy recorder X2, an M+S pair, some cables, a folding mic stand and a pair of headphones.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:20 am

Yes, I was always in awe of his motorbike recording kit, when I still relied on an estate car crammed with stuff... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tim Gillett » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 am

I just noticed that The Hill Quartet have themselves uploaded essentially the same short Webern piece to YT as Focusrite, so the recording is now fully public.

https://youtu.be/qgVlcy3R0lI

The accompanying Focusrite "behind the scenes" video is still "unlisted".
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby jimjazzdad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:I just noticed that The Hill Quartet have themselves uploaded essentially the same short Webern piece to YT as Focusrite, so the recording is now fully public.
...which confirms my surmise that the artists were satisfied with the recording. In this case, I think it is appropriate for YouTube consumption; hopefully next time they will get a better recording done for the more discerning listeners, with accurate image and clarity (note: try the microphones round the front side next time)
:headbang:
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:55 am

jimjazzdad wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:I just noticed that The Hill Quartet have themselves uploaded essentially the same short Webern piece to YT as Focusrite, so the recording is now fully public.
...which confirms my surmise that the artists were satisfied with the recording. In this case, I think it is appropriate for YouTube consumption; hopefully next time they will get a better recording done for the more discerning listeners, with accurate image and clarity (note: try the microphones round the front side next time)
:headbang:

I don't think it should be just "for the discerning listeners". Perhaps many people aren't discerning with sound but if the sound is inferior, anybody can get bored, frustrated and eventually tune out, even if they don't know quite why they tuned out.

They can also look down on the musos even though they've actually done a great job.

Good sound doesn't necessarily draw attention to itself. It reveals and presents the performance. People go away remembering the great performance, perhaps oblivious to the careful audio work that went on behind the scenes.

Here's a low key, casual performance at home, probably recorded by the musos themselves (who are pro musos but wouldnt claim to be audio experts), but it was captured well enough, especially in terms of the mic placement.

https://youtu.be/o5BBYmnrXcw

Compare the Dukes Hall recording where they went on about how careful they were with mic patterns and positions, but arguably that was where they most got it wrong.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 am

Tim Gillett wrote: Good sound doesn't necessarily draw attention to itself. It reveals and presents the performance. People go away remembering the great performance, perhaps oblivious to the careful audio work that went on behind the scenes.
Just a quick +1 to this. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous