You are here

Headphone preamp suggestions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Headphone preamp suggestions

Postby mammy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi guys .I bought ollo audio s4 headphone.I use it in computer and I think pc output is not enough to give the real heahphone capacity.So I decided to buy a headphone amplifier.Which one is best for me ? Should I buy solid state or tube amplifier ?
mammy
Regular

Re: Headphone preamp suggestions

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am

mammy wrote:Hi guys .I bought ollo audio s4 headphone.I use it in computer and I think pc output is not enough to give the real heahphone capacity.So I decided to buy a headphone amplifier.Which one is best for me ? Should I buy solid state or tube amplifier ?

Ooo! you don't want a valve amplifier IMO. Load of beardy,tweaky nonsense.

In fact you don't really want a simple headphone amp at all. Those are good quality headphones but the jack output of a laptop is not. The onboard converter is meh' and the audio amp driving the jack is about $1 of crap. I suggest you look for a USB Audio Interface.

The AI will take the digital signal before the PC gets to mangle it and deliver much better quality to your cans. Almost any AI is going to be better than the laptop's sound card but I don't have that information to hand. Someone here surely will.

N.B. You can buy USB headphone amplifiers which do not have the other facilities of an AI but they probably only use the same converters and amps as full fat AIs and don't pass on the cost saving.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster