You are here

Can ST31 mic be repaired?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Can ST31 mic be repaired?

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:01 pm

I picked up a pair of Sterling Audio ST31 mics used. I liked how they sounded as a stereo pair on acoustic guitar along with an SM81 and a close in large diameter mic to get the bass.

Now that I have these four mics recording acoustic guitar - I like the sound - but
one of the ST31 mics is considerably lower in level and much noisier than the other. It becomes very noticeable when mixing. I am not using these for 'stereo' more like two different angles pointing to the guitar from 6" away, for different tones. But the noise is a problem.

I tried a simple A/B test and clearly one off the mics is much lower in level and much noisier (sounds like preamp constant white noise HHHHHHHHHHHHH). The two mics are completely different in this regard. The other being louder and no noise.

Does anyone know if this is something that I can go in and fix inside the mic?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Can ST31 mic be repaired?

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pm

Maybe cleaning is enough?

Mind you, cleaning a capsule isn't for the faint of heart. If you've never done it, consider the capsule as "to be replaced" anyways.

Have you checked the XLR pins?

Have you asked Sterling Audio?
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 am

Thank you for the reply.

I found the problem and it was operator error. Oooops. :blush:

Turns out these are hypercardioid. The pattern is very tight. So one mic was pointed away from the body while the other pointed at the body. The one that was pointed away was very much weaker and I had applied gain to compensate - hence the noise.

When I align the mics to point the same they are indeed balanced and acting normal.

I moved them in closer and repointed them and I can get a nice pair of tones with a low gain setting.

I am not used to working with mics with such a tight pattern.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 am

DC-Choppah wrote:I found the problem and it was operator error. Oooops. :blush:

Pretty sure we've all been there! :silent: Glad you've solved it at no expense! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound