You are here

Things that go BEEP in the night

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Things that go BEEP in the night

Postby mathematicsforthesoul » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Hello All,

Wee bit of a weird one - I am involved in a project to record the weird and wonderful noises gear makes when you turn it off..

My favourite so far is the Digitech Whammy Wah..
ZIIIIIPOOOOOOOCRUNCH..
(Also what is it that makes this noise?!)

I wonder if anyone has any leads to bits of gear that makes fantastic noises after you press the off button / remove power?

Bonus points for cheap items!

Thanks!
mathematicsforthesoul
Poster

Re: Things that go BEEP in the night

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Not cheap but the Blackstar Artisan 30 combo goes "BurpWEeeee!" if you just bang off the mains switch (you can avoid it if you turn it to standby first)

I have discovered that this is caused by the choke in the HT circuit and is actually a well known effect with valve amps that use choke and can be fixed with a 'snubber' aka 'Zobel' RC network. Maybe you could have a subgroup of just squarking valve amps?

Weird noises as amps are killed are actually quite common (according to Self: 'Power Amplifiers') but most use a mute or drop a relay out to stop it being heard.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:16 pm

The "Beeeuuuurrp" that the Moog Etherwave theremin makes when you switch it off is an essential part of my performance. (Some might say the best part.)

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Funkyflash5 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:54 pm

You might consider the pitchbend from turning off the motor run switch on an old tonewheel hammond ala Keith Emerson.
Funkyflash5
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Funkyflash5 wrote:You might consider the pitchbend from turning off the motor run switch on an old tonewheel hammond ala Keith Emerson.

Yes, but that also involves the use of several German WW2 daggers as well :lol:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:48 pm

Not sure if it counts but I've always liked the sound of knocking a reverb tank.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Pulling the ac plug from the wall as the computer is playing back the latest mix?

Sorry haven’t tried that one!

Don’t some older mic preamps or mics make interesting sounds as they warm up? There was another thread about mic crackles which some surmised was condensation. Perhaps take a ribbon mic fresh from the sauna and plug it in right away?

and there was another thread about using almost dead batteries in pedals. The starved sound was supposedly interesting. Don’t know if that would affect startup or shut off.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Some pedal power supplies have a couple of variable voltage outputs* for just that reason.

* That is other than the usual 9/12/18V ones
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:...and there was another thread about using almost dead batteries in pedals. The starved sound was supposedly interesting. Don’t know if that would affect startup or shut off.

I've still got an in-progress project that relies on voltage starving a set of CMOS Schmitt trigger circuits to achieve most of its seemingly random yet rhythmic noises.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:41 am

Martin Walker wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:...and there was another thread about using almost dead batteries in pedals. The starved sound was supposedly interesting. Don’t know if that would affect startup or shut off.

I've still got an in-progress project that relies on voltage starving a set of CMOS Schmitt trigger circuits to achieve most of its seemingly random yet rhythmic noises.

Martin

Can't wait to see your latest creation!
Zukan