You are here

SPDIF to DSUB

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SPDIF to DSUB

Postby jodaki » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Apologies. I cant find this in the search though Im sure it's been asked and answered before.

I have a Clarity M Stereo metre.

It has a toslink input but this does not accept the adat output from my Orion 32+

So I believe I have to use the AES port on the clarity.

The AES cable supplied is too short and has 2 spare wires hanging off it which I wont use. I have enough cabling around without having freeloaders hanging around contributing nothing so I want a clean cable from the clarity to my Orion's spdif output, which is an RCA socket.

I have a BNC to RCA adapter on the end of the AES cable as my converter doesnt have a BNC spdif port.

I cant find a 15pin D-Sub going to an RCA.Well, to be accurate, I cant find a D-SUB with pins in 2 rows. The only connector I can find which might fit the bill has 15 pins but they are arranged in 3 stacks of five. So that wont work.

I am also concerned that I'll end up with a cable with the right connectors but the pins are wired wrong.

I have also ordered an RCA socket to socket adapter so that in the meantime I can just extend this supplied AES cable.

Please can someone point me to a lead that will just work?

thanks, John
jodaki
Regular

Re: SPDIF to DSUB

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:21 pm

jodaki wrote:It has a toslink input but this does not accept the adat output from my Orion 32+

No, of course not. It's an optical stereo S/PDIF input... as the manual clearly states.

Not even the multichannel version of the Clarity M can accept a ADAT input... which is a bit of a shame, to be honest... but it is what it is!

I want a clean cable from the clarity to my Orion's spdif output, which is an RCA socket.

If you can solder, you just need to make up a suitable cable with a 15-way D-sub at one end and an RCA plug at the other, using 75 Ohm video (baseband) coax cable. Alternatively, there are plenty of small bespoke cable manufacturers around that could do it for you. Some advertise in the classifieds at the back of the SOS mag.

The pin-out for the D-sub is listed at the back of the manual... page 19

http://downloads.musictribe.com/documents/tcelectronic/CLARITY%20M_CLARITY%20M%20STEREO_M_EN.pdf
...but in short, the RCA tip goes to pin 4 and sleeve/cable screen to pin 11.

I cant find a 15pin D-Sub going to an RCA.

You won't. It's a bespoke cable.

Well, to be accurate, I cant find a D-SUB with pins in 2 rows. The only connector I can find which might fit the bill has 15 pins but they are arranged in 3 stacks of five. So that wont work.

You're describing the HD version. You want a standard 15-way D-sub like this:
https://cpc.farnell.com/starconn-connectors/ds-15p/d-plug-15-pin-solder/dp/CN00800

I am also concerned that I'll end up with a cable with the right connectors but the pins are wired wrong.

As I say, the required information is all in the manual.

Please can someone point me to a lead that will just work?

Sorry... no. It doesn't exist. You'll need something custom made -- but it's really not complicated.

If it were me, I'd probably by a mass-produced consumer video cable with moulded RCA phono plugs on each end, cut one end off, strip the wires as necessary and solder it into the D-sub. Five minutes work, if that...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jodaki » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 pm

I can solder so Ill make one. Thanks Hugh.
jodaki
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Seeing as Hugh has already pointed you to CPC for the D type connector I'll mention that I use these cables for S/PDIF and video connections.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... dp/AV14146
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby jodaki » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Lovely, thanks James, I bought a similar one from them. I love CPCs free delivery. Makes buying small items a lot simpler.
jodaki
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Please bear in mind that link I gave for the plug is just the plug... you'll need a suitably sized shell too!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jodaki » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Please bear in mind that link I gave for the plug is just the plug... you'll need a suitably sized shell too!

Thanks yes, I bought this one: https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mc-dp ... EML007-005
jodaki
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:36 pm

:thumbup:

If you don't have any already, it might be worth buying some hellerman-style rubber sleeves, too.

I usually slide 1.5 or 2mm rubber sleeves over the wires/screen braid and the pin solder cups to ensure against accidental short circuits.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jodaki » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 pm

good idea thanks Hugh
jodaki
Regular

Postby jodaki » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Hmm, that's strange... I made up my RCA to DA15 cable to connect my Clarity to my SPDIF out and it doesn't work.

After triple checking my handmade cable and connections etc. I tested the TC Electronics lead and turns out that the unit accepts single SDPIF connections on Input 3 (pins 6 & 13) not on Input 1 (pins 4 & 11).

The manual definitely says that in the Clarity M Stereo the spdif comes in on input 1. So, assuming the manual can be believed, the AES socket on my Clarity M Stereo seems to have been mis-wired using the pin assignments for the Clarity M.

Don't know if this is a general truth about the stereo units (ie. the manual is just wrong) or whether its just a glitch with mine but I thought this might be useful information for anyone else using the Clarity M.
jodaki
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:00 pm

That is weird... and not what I would have expected either...

But the thought does occur... I wonder if someone else counted from the wrong end of the plug... :lol:

I think we've already established that the manual has some typos anyway, so we'll put this confusion down to another.

(I would have metered out the supplied cable first, by the way, so I knew what I had to replicate in the DIY version! Quicker, easier and apparently more reliable thatn reading the manual! :D )

Anyway, glad you're sorted, and thanks for postingthe update -- I'm sure it will be helpful to others too!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jodaki » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But the thought does occur... I wonder if someone else counted from the wrong end of the plug... :lol:

haha I imagine you're referring to a TC wiring electrician ;) Good point about metering the cable, actually that didnt occurr to me until later in the piece but will save a lot of time next time. thanks again Sir.
jodaki
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:37 pm

Phew - you're all sorted - hooray! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker