You are here

Headphone for recording (sony 7506, akg 171mkii, beyer 770pro?)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Headphone for recording (sony 7506, akg 171mkii, beyer 770pro?)

Postby Guitarking » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 am

Hi everyone

Im looking for a recording headphone. Already own Akg 701 & Beyer 880pro.

I want to use it for:
-recording vocals
-recording drums
(-listening to music in the train would be a nice bonus but above is way more important)

Id like it to sound good and inspiring to sing but also have good isolation so i dont hear drums and the mic doesnt pick up metronome.

On my research found the sony 7506 (foldable, a standard, afordable, sound supposedly not too good?), akg 171mkii (afordable?) and beyer 770pro (more expensive, some say neutral some say hyped, is iso good enough?).

Would they sound good and have sufficient isolation? Also saw the ultraphones or something (sony v6 with iso shell) but way too expensive.

Love to hear your advice.
Thanks!
Guitarking
Regular

Re: Headphone for recording (sony 7506, akg 171mkii, beyer 770pro?)

Postby John Willett » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 am

My No.1 choice for this is the Sennheiser HD 25-1.

This is the first choice for broadcast sound recordists working in the field.

Good attenuation of external sound so you can concentrate on the recording - also - very efficieent so will give a good sound level at lower volume levels (and still a good level woth headphone amplifiers that don't give enough grunt with higher impedance or less eficient headphones).

The Sony, by the way, are quite ineffieieent.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:37 am

John Willett wrote:My No.1 choice for this is the Sennheiser HD 25-1.

Good attenuation of external sound so you can concentrate on the recording - also - very efficieent so will give a good sound level at lower volume levels (and still a good level woth headphone amplifiers that don't give enough grunt with higher impedance or less eficient headphones).

The Sony, by the way, are quite ineffieieent.

I echo what John said, I have these for field recordings, as do a lot of other people too, they would be my first choice.
Also a great bass response, which is fun when listening to certain types of music!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am

DT770 user here, very happy with them. What i would say is that isolation is very dependent on fit, so try and find somewhere to try them on first.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:17 am

I have 7506 here. They are relegated to the hi-fi - they are OK, but in particular I don't like the way that the lower part of the ear cups like to lift away from my head, making the seal less than ideal. They also get knocked askew, or fall off too easily - and they're a bit bass-heavy.

I also have HD25 II - much better as tracking cans, IMO, and provide a better fit to my head at least, though they won't win prizes for their sound.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:08 am

John Willett wrote:My No.1 choice for this is the Sennheiser HD 25-1.

Not this one :o

I find the Beyer DT1350 superior in terms of accuracy, isolation, comfort and build quality......... it really seems to be overlooked - maybe because of price?

For tracking in the studio I prefer the DT770, it’s comfortable for long sessions and cheap enough too. Yes, it’s hyped, but in a way which doesn’t distract from the tracking process.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:47 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:I find the Beyer DT1350 superior in terms of accuracy, isolation, comfort and build quality......... it really seems to be overlooked - maybe because of price?

Well, yes... it does cost a great deal more. You can break and replace two or three sets of HD25s for the price of the 1350s.

I keep toying with the idea of buying a pair because I heard a pair at a trade show once and was bowled over with their sound -- and the build quality is better than the HD25s as well... but then the credit card starts to get sweaty and nervous. :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John Willett » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Bob Bickerton wrote:I find the Beyer DT1350 superior in terms of accuracy, isolation, comfort and build quality......... it really seems to be overlooked - maybe because of price?

Well, yes... it does cost a great deal more. You can break and replace two or three sets of HD25s for the price of the 1350s.

I keep toying with the idea of buying a pair because I heard a pair at a trade show once and was bowled over with their sound -- and the build quality is better than the HD25s as well... but then the credit card starts to get sweaty and nervous. :-)

H

I would question build quality as the HD 25 build quality is superb - my own pair are over 30 yaers old and still going strong - never any problem apart from replacing earpads every few years and replacing the headband pad once.

Regarding the Beyer DT1350 - these seem to be discontinued as I cannot find any mention of them on the Beyer website, only spares for them.

The Beyer Aventho wired seem similar, but don't have the split headband. These are just under £300 on Amazon UK.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:21 pm

That’s a shame they’re out of production, I do rate them highly.

The problem I found with my HD25s was the mechanism whereby you expand and contract the headband became worn and so was less secure - probably caused by over exertion coping with my big head :crazy:

I’d have no problem using HD25s again but I’ll certainly be taking more care of the Beyers now........

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Guitarking wrote:Hi everyone

Im looking for a recording headphone. Already own Akg 701 & Beyer 880pro.

I want to use it for:
-recording vocals
-recording drums
(-listening to music in the train would be a nice bonus but above is way more important)

I have several pairs of Audio Technica M50x which I use for tracking. Cheap and cheerful and do the job just fine. Don' t particularly like their sound - but they capture a lot of detail which is useful for tracking.

For drummers, my $.10 is that it really depends on the person. Some want to hear a bit of the acoustic sound. Some want total isolation. Some want to hear just the click. Some want all monitoring in the cans. I found the M50 are a general good all around, but I guess it can be said of a lot of different headphones.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Guitarking » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:18 am

Thank you all, input very much appreciated!

Coincidentally, I had my friend's HD25 ii lying around here so gave them a go.
Didn't like the comfort, the on ear principle started to hurt my ears.

I ordered the Sony 7506, as they were cheap and had good reviews. I'll report back when I have tried them.
Guitarking
Regular

Postby John Willett » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am

Guitarking wrote:Thank you all, input very much appreciated!

Coincidentally, I had my friend's HD25 ii lying around here so gave them a go.
Didn't like the comfort, the on ear principle started to hurt my ears.

I ordered the Sony 7506, as they were cheap and had good reviews. I'll report back when I have tried them.

The Sony are a lot less efficient than the HD 25 (though I use my HD 25 with the optional velour earpads, which are a lot more comfortable than the leatherette ones).

You may find using a headphone amp. like the DragonFly - I use the Cobalt version myself - when you use them with a smartphone/iPad. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Guitarking » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:55 pm

Ok, tried the 7506.

Initial thoughts:
- isolation is less than hd25
- not sure about the sound, bit harsh. Maybe they need breaking in? Maybe the emphasis on high mids is a blessing and I just have to get used to it/learn to see the benefits of it? 7506 have been an industry standard for a reason right?
- Hd25 is less harsh but its lows are not as defined as 7506. Also i dont like the on ear pressure of the hd25. The 7506 is much more comfortable.

Doubting whether to keep the 7506.

Looking for something with a nicer sound and better isolation. Thinking bout the Beyer dt770 pro. Read BBC uses them? Hugh? Strange that sometimes it is said to be neutral whereas other times as bit hyped low and highs...

Anyone on the 770pro; does it sound better than 7506 and is isolation better?
Its less portable but thats the tradeoff im willing to take.
Guitarking
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:00 am

Can't give you a like for like as i'm not familiar with the Sonys, but I can give a bit of context on the 770s.
Yes they are brighter than neutral (you can hear a clear difference if you toggle something like Sonarworks off and on), but it's not a tiring or overly aggressive sound. I find them comfortable for long stints both physically and audibly.
And fundamentally we're talking about tracking headphones here, they're not sufficiently off-neutral that you're going to be led to making bad tracking decisions because of them.
I reckon... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:31 am

Guitarking wrote:Thinking bout the Beyer dt770 pro. Read BBC uses them? Hugh?

The BBC uses all sorts of different things.... but usual because of practical expediency rather than for engineering excellence. The days of proper engineering evaluations for equipmnent selection have long since gone....

And this idea of 'industry standard' is a giggle too...

The 770s are very comfortable and the isolation is pretty good. Personally, I think they sound 'nicer' than the 7506s which I've never really liked. (I have 7509s which are better.) I'd be willing to bet you'll prefer the 770s.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Next