You are here

Headphone for recording (sony 7506, akg 171mkii, beyer 770pro?)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Headphone for recording (sony 7506, akg 171mkii, beyer 770pro?)

Postby Fishnish » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Several pairs of 770 pros in use here. Good isolation which is not particularly dependant on the shape of one's ears/head and most people seem to find them comfortable to wear for long periods.

Sound wise yes they are a little sweetened but not OTT. No problem for tracking. They're not harsh or tiring, so again most people here seem to be happy wearing them for long periods and like their sound on tracking sessions
Fishnish
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:04 pm

As noted I use 770s for tracking in the studio, yes they’re not totally flat, but dry workable and probably make some sources sound more attractive, which is no bad thing. After all we often use comfort reverb to achieve the same thing.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Guitarking » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks everyone!

Does anybody know whether the 770pro has better isolation than the 7506?
Guitarking
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 am

I haven’t owned the 7506 and 770 concurrently, and you’d need to A/B them to assert the best isolation. From memory the 770 would not be worse than the 7506 but then I wouldn’t have isolation issues with either really and I record very quiet sources along with prerecorded material.........

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Guitarking wrote:...Also i dont like the on ear pressure of the hd25. The 7506 is much more comfortable.

I swapped the standard earpads of my HD 25-1 to the velour option - a lot more comportable IMHO. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:21 pm

Comportability - is an often overlooked specification of headphones - I try to act naturally when wearing them :crazy:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:30 pm

The 7506s are horrible in my view. Sennheiser HD25 IIs have excellent isolation but aren't very comfy and don't sound amazing either. I haven't tried the Beyers.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby petter123 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 am

Guitarking wrote:Ok, tried the 7506.

Initial thoughts:
- isolation is less than hd25
- not sure about the sound, bit harsh. Maybe they need breaking in? Maybe the emphasis on high mids is a blessing and I just have to get used to it/learn to see the benefits of it? 7506 have been an industry standard for a reason right?
- Hd25 is less harsh but its lows are not as defined as 7506. Also i dont like the on ear pressure of the hd25. The 7506 is much more comfortable.

Doubting whether to keep the 7506.

Looking for something with a nicer sound and better isolation. Thinking bout the Beyer dt770 pro. Read BBC uses them? Hugh? Strange that sometimes it is said to be neutral whereas other times as bit hyped low and highs...

Anyone on the 770pro; does it sound better than 7506 and is isolation better?
Its less portable but thats the tradeoff im willing to take.

Hi,

Just registered so that I can reply. :)

I bought the 7506 this summer. I had auditioned LOTS of headphones at a store in Paris, and thought they were the best one (within reasonable pricing) to reproduce a vast number of pop songs. I especially listened to Enjoy the silence and to some old Kate Bush songs, music I know well.

When I bought a pair, I was surprised by how harsh they sounded! After a few weeks it got better and they have been fine since. I suggest you try breaking them in to get rid of the harshness.

Meanwhile, I also bought the AKG 712 Pro on a sale. They are fantastic! Funnily, the mixes I made on them didn't really translate well to others' systems (I only mix with headphones unfortunately). My mixes got too bass-heavy according to people at KVR. Therefore, I now use the 7506's when recording (since they isolate well), 712's when mixing (since they sound better and are nicer to wear) and the 7506's to judge the bass-treble ratio before uploading my music. So far, the bunch of listeners at KVR have all agreed on the balance being correct.

Good luck!
petter123

Postby Kwackman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 am

petter123 wrote:I also bought the AKG 712 Pro on a sale. They are fantastic! Funnily, the mixes I made on them didn't really translate well to others' systems

I'm confused!
If mixes on these headphones don't sound good on other systems, doesn't that mean they're not good headphones for mixing with?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby petter123 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:13 pm

Kwackman wrote:
petter123 wrote:I also bought the AKG 712 Pro on a sale. They are fantastic! Funnily, the mixes I made on them didn't really translate well to others' systems

I'm confused!
If mixes on these headphones don't sound good on other systems, doesn't that mean they're not good headphones for mixing with?

Well, that's what I used to believe. :) What I mean is that people's playback systems hype the bass so much and primarily use headphones so my conclusion is that mixing today shouldn't be done in the traditional way. (However, I don't want to hijack this thread - just wanted to explain.) Basically, if my mixes sound good on both headphones, then they seem to be alright. Also, they 712's sound very detailed and precise. I am more into sculpting synth sounds than to do great mastering, so for me this combo works well. Since the 712's are open-back, they also cause less fatigue.
petter123

Postby Mambosun » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:17 am

petter123 wrote:
Guitarking wrote:Ok, tried the 7506.

Initial thoughts:
- isolation is less than hd25
- not sure about the sound, bit harsh. Maybe they need breaking in? Maybe the emphasis on high mids is a blessing and I just have to get used to it/learn to see the benefits of it? 7506 have been an industry standard for a reason right?
- Hd25 is less harsh but its lows are not as defined as 7506. Also i dont like the on ear pressure of the hd25. The 7506 is much more comfortable.

Doubting whether to keep the 7506.

Looking for something with a nicer sound and better isolation. Thinking bout the Beyer dt770 pro. Read BBC uses them? Hugh? Strange that sometimes it is said to be neutral whereas other times as bit hyped low and highs...

Anyone on the 770pro; does it sound better than 7506 and is isolation better?
Its less portable but thats the tradeoff im willing to take.

Hi,

Just registered so that I can reply. :)

I bought the 7506 this summer. I had auditioned LOTS of headphones at a store in Paris, and thought they were the best one (within reasonable pricing) to reproduce a vast number of pop songs. I especially listened to Enjoy the silence and to some old Kate Bush songs, music I know well.

When I bought a pair, I was surprised by how harsh they sounded! After a few weeks it got better and they have been fine since. I suggest you try breaking them in to get rid of the harshness.

Meanwhile, I also bought the AKG 712 Pro on a sale. They are fantastic! Funnily, the mixes I made on them didn't really translate well to others' systems (I only mix with headphones unfortunately). My mixes got too bass-heavy according to people at KVR. Therefore, I now use the 7506's when recording (since they isolate well), 712's when mixing (since they sound better and are nicer to wear) and the 7506's to judge the bass-treble ratio before uploading my music. So far, the bunch of listeners at KVR have all agreed on the balance being correct.

Good luck!

Funnlily enough, that's exactly what I've been doing so far, for my Sound Design projects: recordings with the Sony MDR7506 and mixing with the AKG K712 Pro. For better sound rendition accuracy from these two pairs of cans, I recently started to use the Sonarworks Reference 4 plugin.
I also use IEM for sound Design creation and finalize my mastering with monitor speakers.
Mambosun
New here

Postby Guitarking » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Any suggestion about which Ohm I should choose with the 770PRO. I'd like to use it for tracking but also for listening to music on my phone.
Guitarking
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:25 pm

I have no problem with the 250Ohm versions on my phones but I seem to listen at a much lower volume than most people! 80Ohm should be easily driveable by just about anything these days.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:03 pm

I'd agree with that. 80 Ohms if the phone is your priority, and 250 Ohm if a mains-powered headphone source is your priority... but either will work perfectly well with anything. It's just the max output level capability that really varies.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:46 pm

250 ohms is probably safer if you, as I did recently, accidentally plug the headphones into a line output. It took me a while to work out why I could only hear something out of one channel but it also confirmed that the outputs on my interface are impedance balanced rather than fully balanced.

250 ohm headphones are also useful if you use old Swiss/Austrian/German hifi gear in your studio as they're often designed to be used with high impedance headphones.

However, 80 ohms will be fine for most things.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

PreviousNext