You are here

What cables for Genelec 8030c to UA Apollo x8?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What cables for Genelec 8030c to UA Apollo x8?

Postby stellavista303 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:26 am

Hi. Could somebody recommend me a cable to connect my Genelec 8030c speakers (which requires an XLR male to connect to the XLR female connector of the speakers) to the monitor outs of my Universal Audio Apollo x8 (which require a jack connector)?

I ask this because I usually buy my gear from Thomann but the only cables available with an XLR male to jack connector are the ones linked below which specifically state ‘Suitable for passive speakers - not for active speakers’ (which the Genelec 8030c are). So this made me question what cable is best and Googling does not offer a clear answer.

https://m.thomann.de/intl/cat_GK_KALA.h ... 47034=Jack

Can somebody help?

Thanks
stellavista303
New here

Re: What cables for Genelec 8030c to UA Apollo x8?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:29 pm

It's because you're looking for 'speaker cables' when you should be looking for standard balanced audio cables. Try this link for Thomann -- but there are thousands of alternatives out there (just search for TRS-XLRm balanced audio cable):

https://m.thomann.de/intl/cae_1756215_audiokabel.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ACH.CHF%3AEUR&o=23&search=1586086038
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby stellavista303 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:37 pm

:headbang:

Yep, that’ll be it. Someone once told me there are no stupid questions, but I probably proved them wrong here.

Thanks Hugh, I appreciate the fast response. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!
stellavista303
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:27 pm

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :)
Or the ones where you ignore the answers of course... ;)

I'd be very surprised if there were many people on here who hadn't got a little bit confused at some point when first encountering balanced audio signals.

Apart from Hugh maybe. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:28 pm

blinddrew wrote:Apart from Hugh maybe. ;)

I wasn't born knowing this stuff either, and I've definitely asked a lot of 'stupid questions' in my time -- but now I know the answers I'm very happy to share... :ugeek:

As for balanced audio signals -- I learned all about them when I was eight years old, as my father (a GPO telecoms engineer at the time) was helping an organist friend with a domestic reel-reel tape recorder who was complaining of clicks on his own organ music recordings.

It turned out the clicks were coming from sparks in the crude electric action of his preferred pipe organ causing interference in his unbalanced mic cables. Dad built him some transformer boxes to connect his dynamic mics into balanced cables for the majority of the run back to the tape recorder.

...and I asked, Dad, how will these help?

The rest is history! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:53 pm

I think I was just asking my Dad how bike gears worked at that point! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:32 pm

I don't think I got into bike gears until I was 10 or 11. It was a three-speed Sturmey-Archer on my first bike. Very clever system...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As for balanced audio signals -- I learned all about them when I was eight years old, as my father (a GPO telecoms engineer at the time) was helping an organist friend with a domestic reel-reel tape recorder who was complaining of clicks on his own organ music recordings.

It turned out the clicks were coming from sparks in the crude electric action of his preferred pipe organ causing interference in his unbalanced mic cables. Dad built him some transformer boxes to connect his dynamic mics into balanced cables for the majority of the run back to the tape recorder.

...and I asked, Dad, how will these help?

The rest is history! :lol:

My dad was a GPO Telephone engineer from being an apprentice at 15 until he went to work as a factory manager for his father in law*. He inspired my interest in electrical stuff at a similarly young age helping me build a crystal set and an intercom using two telephone earpiece transducers.

He later built a race timer for his sailing club using ex GPO relays and a bomber clock (it timed the race start sequence and finish times) and, later still, a small electronic keyboard.

* Which was doomed from the start, they were very different people, he then became a college lecturer in electrical engineering.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I don't think I got into bike gears until I was 10 or 11. It was a three-speed Sturmey-Archer on my first bike. Very clever system...

Sturmey Archer baffled me at that age though I could just about understand derailleurs.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby stellavista303 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Blimey, it’s funny how a simple (and definitely not stupid) question can lead to a discussion about pipe organs, GPO telecoms, and Sturmey-Archer bike gears.
stellavista303
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:15 pm

:lol: Fairly normal for the folks around here! Keeps it interesting and good humoured, and it exposes the commonalities and shared experiences we all have!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As for balanced audio signals -- I learned all about them when I was eight years old, as my father (a GPO telecoms engineer at the time) was helping an organist friend with a domestic reel-reel tape recorder

I learned my electronics from ancient books by the likes of the wonderfully-named M. G. Scroggie. It took me some time to realise that the 'transmission line' of long-distance telephony was not quite the same as the 'balanced cable' of a modern microphone.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:05 pm

True, but the latter came directly from the former, and many of its design parameters and requirements are exactly the same.
Hugh Robjohns