You are here

Genelec 8331 vs. 8341

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Genelec 8331 vs. 8341

Postby forumuser818004 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:54 am

From searching the forum I'm aware related discussions have been had before, but I don't think this particular question has been asked, so here goes.

I've been considering the Genelec 'The Ones' range due to the various benefits their design would seem to offer: cohesive image/low fatigue, wide sweet-spot, ability to monitor flexibly from ultra-nearfield to further away, GLM calibration. All these qualities would be a big help in my setup, and likely represent some big quality-of-life advantages over the alternatives.

However, I've been unclear as to whether the 8331 or 8341 is likely to be a better bet as a long-term investment—or more to the point, whether the difference in price is likely to offer me much in the way of performance in real-world terms. In my reading I started with Mr. Robjohns's excellent review (thank you Hugh if you're reading this), and heard there—and echoed elsewhere—that in use the difference in bass extension and sound overall is relatively small, maximum volume aside.

This is somewhat encouraging to hear, because either of these sets of monitors represents a big investment, and the price difference isn't insignificant. But I would be very grateful for some advice thinking through the difference in practice, and how much I'd be likely to miss out on with the smallest in the line.

I could of course purchase the 8331s, then upgrade with a SAM-equipped subwoofer sometime in the future; but I can't help feeling that it may somewhat undermine one of the main USPs of such monitors: sonic cohesion across the frequency spectrum.

Anyway, this is a jumble of thoughts I fear, but any thoughts anyone could share about what to consider when choosing between these two monitors would be a huge help. Thank you in advance.
forumuser818004

Re: Genelec 8331 vs. 8341

Postby Scoox » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Would be interested in a comparison of these two models.
Scoox