You are here

Will M-Audio ever support midisport in Catalina?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Will M-Audio ever support midisport in Catalina?

Postby leighsmith » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Wow, great find. Claims that they wrote the original driver. Scary Terminal stuff, but I will try it if I go to Catalina.

Edit: And I think now I actually did install the M Audio driver on my Mojave machine :lol:

The M-Audio driver will work with Mojave, as Mojave still supports 32 bit drivers, although if any other MIDI drivers are 64 bit, they are prevented from running, i.e some of the Roland drivers. The whole exercise of revamping 20 year old code to compile and run as 64 bit drivers was to be able to run on Catalina (which no longer supports 32 bit drivers), and eventually Big Sur.

There is no longer a need to run any commands in Terminal to install. Just download the .pkg file from the sourceforge.net link on the GitHub README page and double click it. I am preparing support for the non-MIDISPORT devices that use the same driver, such as the Oxygen 8 keyboard, Quattro etc. Please contact me if you have one of these boxes/keyboards as I will need some testers.
leighsmith
New here

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Amazing! Thank you.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:47 pm

leighsmith wrote:
Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Wow, great find. Claims that they wrote the original driver. Scary Terminal stuff, but I will try it if I go to Catalina.

Edit: And I think now I actually did install the M Audio driver on my Mojave machine :lol:

The M-Audio driver will work with Mojave, as Mojave still supports 32 bit drivers, although if any other MIDI drivers are 64 bit, they are prevented from running, i.e some of the Roland drivers. The whole exercise of revamping 20 year old code to compile and run as 64 bit drivers was to be able to run on Catalina (which no longer supports 32 bit drivers), and eventually Big Sur.

There is no longer a need to run any commands in Terminal to install. Just download the .pkg file from the sourceforge.net link on the GitHub README page and double click it. I am preparing support for the non-MIDISPORT devices that use the same driver, such as the Oxygen 8 keyboard, Quattro etc. Please contact me if you have one of these boxes/keyboards as I will need some testers.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby leighsmith » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:25 pm

So just to be even more clear: the open source driver I released, which compiles as a 64 bit driver, will work for Mojave, Catalina, and eventually (although I've yet to compile and test it), Big Sur.

The M-Audio released driver (modified from my original code) was released as a 32 bit driver, and hence will run on Mojave as the last release. So if you are on Mojave, you can remove the M-Audio driver and replace it with the open source 64 bit version and when you upgrade to Catalina, the driver will continue to work.

Upgrading to the 64 bit driver while still on Mojave may be beneficial also, as 32 bit device drivers prevent 64 bit drivers from being loaded, and some of Roland's recent MIDI drivers (the one shipped for the SY-1000 USB) are 64 bit only, and hence clash against the M-Audio 32 bit driver, and refuse to load.
leighsmith
New here

Postby benny cha cha » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Hi Leigh, thanks so much for doing this. Any advice on getting a MidiSport 2X4 to work in Catalina with your drivers?

thanks much

ben
benny cha cha

Postby leighsmith » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:44 am

benny cha cha wrote:Hi Leigh, thanks so much for doing this. Any advice on getting a MidiSport 2X4 to work in Catalina with your drivers?

thanks much

ben

As originally written, there is an assumption in the driver that the number of inputs and output are identical. In principle, it's not too hard to support the unequal number of inputs and outputs, I just haven't had a chance to diagnose and test with such a beast. It will take a bit of sleuthing. I see you are in Brooklyn, as am I, so while I might be able to get things going remotely, worst case, we could meet (COVID safe) and diagnose the behaviour.

Have you tested with the existing v1.1.0 driver? I'm not sure of the USB identifiers of those 2 x 4 models? Can you (or anyone else) post the results of running System Information.app, selecting "USB" under "Hardware", then look for a device in the device tree, possibly labelled "Composite Device" with a Vendor ID of "0x0763 (M-Audio)", and posting the Product ID and other displayed information?

That will definitely help get those devices supported!
leighsmith
New here

Postby benny cha cha » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 pm

leighsmith wrote:
benny cha cha wrote:Hi Leigh, thanks so much for doing this. Any advice on getting a MidiSport 2X4 to work in Catalina with your drivers?

thanks much

ben

As originally written, there is an assumption in the driver that the number of inputs and output are identical. In principle, it's not too hard to support the unequal number of inputs and outputs, I just haven't had a chance to diagnose and test with such a beast. It will take a bit of sleuthing. I see you are in Brooklyn, as am I, so while I might be able to get things going remotely, worst case, we could meet (COVID safe) and diagnose the behaviour.

Have you tested with the existing v1.1.0 driver? I'm not sure of the USB identifiers of those 2 x 4 models? Can you (or anyone else) post the results of running System Information.app, selecting "USB" under "Hardware", then look for a device in the device tree, possibly labelled "Composite Device" with a Vendor ID of "0x0763 (M-Audio)", and posting the Product ID and other displayed information?

That will definitely help get those devices supported!

Thanks, Leigh. I installed the 1.1 just now and the firmware app doesn't show up. the computer is seeing the hardware. (i will uninstall and try again.)

here is the info from the system info:

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x1041
Vendor ID: 0x0763 (M-Audio)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Location ID: 0x14224200 / 11
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 198
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Would be cool to get this working. i'd be happy to meet up and lend the box to you if necessary.

best
b
benny cha cha

Postby leighsmith » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:14 am

benny cha cha wrote:Thanks, Leigh. I installed the 1.1 just now and the firmware app doesn't show up. the computer is seeing the hardware. (i will uninstall and try again.)

here is the info from the system info:

Composite Device:

Product ID: 0x1041
Vendor ID: 0x0763 (M-Audio)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Location ID: 0x14224200 / 11
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 198
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Would be cool to get this working. i'd be happy to meet up and lend the box to you if necessary.

best
b

Thanks! That tells me a lot, firstly, that the 2 x 4 is a distinct device, and hence will likely need it's own firmware different from the 4 x 4, and secondly, that it's not a device that has firmware that is available to be retrieved from M-Audio's dmg file :cry:

So it'll take me a bit more sleuthing to figure out the specs and how M-Audio supported that device. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the firmware doesn't actually need downloading, in that, it would behave similar to an 8x8/S. I'll dig in a bit, and then perhaps contact me via my website https://www.leighsmith.com and we can set up a meet up, or I'll send you a diagnostic version of the driver.
leighsmith
New here

Postby leighsmith » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:23 am

One question for clarification: *Without* the driver installed, when you plugged in the 2x4, did you see the USB LED pulse, or are all the LEDs unlit? Since you mention the firmware downloader isn't downloading, I assume you deduce that from the lack of pulsing USB LED?
leighsmith
New here

Postby benny cha cha » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 pm

leighsmith wrote:One question for clarification: *Without* the driver installed, when you plugged in the 2x4, did you see the USB LED pulse, or are all the LEDs unlit? Since you mention the firmware downloader isn't downloading, I assume you deduce that from the lack of pulsing USB LED?
I thought that the firmware downloader was supposed to launch upon device detection. I took no launch to mean no device found. The light is pulsing right now.

I will uninstall the driver and see what happens.
benny cha cha

Postby leighsmith » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:23 pm

The firmware downloader daemon will download the firmware, but only if it sees a device that matches a list of product ids, and the product Id you posted earlier 0x1041, isn't in that list in v1.1.0 of the driver. I did a bit of sleuthing, and it seems the 2x4 is like the 8x8 and it has true firmware (i.e. it's actually stored in a ROM in the device, not downloaded like the 1x1, 2x2 & 4x4, which makes those less than firmware, err, flaccidware? :lol:). So I should have a version available to test very soon.
leighsmith
New here

Postby leighsmith » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:26 pm

benny cha cha wrote:I will uninstall the driver and see what happens.

Ok v1.2.0 of the driver is now available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/midisport-macos/, which should work with the MIDISPORT 2x4. BTW, can I confirm that the ports on your 2x4 are labelled numerically (1-2, 1-4) and not alphabetically (A-B, A-D)?

Let me know how you fare?
leighsmith
New here

Postby poetica1985 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:39 pm

leighsmith wrote:
benny cha cha wrote:I will uninstall the driver and see what happens.

Ok v1.2.0 of the driver is now available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/midisport-macos/, which should work with the MIDISPORT 2x4. BTW, can I confirm that the ports on your 2x4 are labelled numerically (1-2, 1-4) and not alphabetically (A-B, A-D)?

Let me know how you fare?

Hi Leigh I’d messaged you on your Sourceforge page but figured you might not check that anymore.

I’m having trouble trying to connect an M-Audio Ozone midi controller as the driver is 32bit - any suggestions? I’ve tried using a midi 5 pin lead but no joy. Would a usb-b to usb-c cable work, do you think? I’m tearing my hair out trying ro get it to work on my Macbook Pro 2019
poetica1985

Postby leighsmith » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:34 pm

I responded privately to your message, but for information for other readers, repeating here, I've opened an issue ticket https://github.com/leighsmith/midisport-macos/issues/18 on the project's GitHub page to add support for the Ozone.

The technical issues are outlined there, but briefly: Indeed the firmware for the Ozone is installed by the MIDISPORT installer to the disk, but there is some work necessary to have that firmware then transferred to the Ozone (it uses a different protocol, DFU, than that used by the MIDISPORTs, it seems), and there is some work to investigate which protocol such DFU devices use, either the same non-standard protocol the MIDISPORTs use, the USB MIDI class compliant spec, or some other non-standard protocol.
leighsmith
New here

Postby poetica1985 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:57 pm

leighsmith wrote:I responded privately to your message, but for information for other readers, repeating here, I've opened an issue ticket https://github.com/leighsmith/midisport-macos/issues/18 on the project's GitHub page to add support for the Ozone.

The technical issues are outlined there, but briefly: Indeed the firmware for the Ozone is installed by the MIDISPORT installer to the disk, but there is some work necessary to have that firmware then transferred to the Ozone (it uses a different protocol, DFU, than that used by the MIDISPORTs, it seems), and there is some work to investigate which protocol such DFU devices use, either the same non-standard protocol the MIDISPORTs use, the USB MIDI class compliant spec, or some other non-standard protocol.

Thanks so much Leigh, you’ve given me a bit of hope! I will follow your advice! :)
poetica1985

PreviousNext