You are here

Reading Reaverb

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Reading Reaverb

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:58 pm

I've been using Reaverb for a while now and think I've explored the guts of what it has to offer me but I've never really got to grips with what the image of the IR represents. I can read the size of the file and the length of the tail, etc. but I've still not figured out (using my excellent scientific method of looking and having a think) what the colours and how they are presented mean.

Anybody care to enlighten me and the other fickos?

shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: Reading Reaverb

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm

I had always assumed that it was a spectrogram with frequency on the vertical axis, time on the horizontal and intensity represented by the different colours.

What I found interesting about your screen shot is the Trim/Gain/Stretch section in your setup. I've only just twigged that you can chain these sections - something I'd have found really useful in the past if I'd realised. It just goes to show that there are so many hidden depths to Reaper.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Reading Reaverb

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:50 pm

It's very cool. I generally just use the filters to hack at the top and bottom of an IR to taste.

That was just a pic I'd pulled off the 'net for illustration and you're right, it's a spectrogram which works just as you described.

What's even more fun is that, once you'd mentioned the chaining of features it was obvious that you can see how the spectrogram works by putting the !"filter (LP/HP)" in line and watch how the image changes as you adjust it.

Every day's a school day, even for those of us in the remedial class.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.