You are here

Patchbay Basics

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Patchbay Basics

Postby crackerbarn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:21 pm

I am desperately wanting to use my Samson 48 channel patchbay so that can integrate my 8 channel interface with 6 pieces of outboard gear that I have, 2 compressors and 4 channel strip rack units. For the life of me I can’t figure this out.

I would be externally grateful if someone could dumb this down for me of how to route and what type of cables to use. Right now I have a spaghetti mess trying to tie all this in.

PLEASE HELP!!!’n thanks!!
crackerbarn

Re: Patchbay Basics

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:15 pm

It's impossible to give specific advice without knowing the details of what you're trying to connect and how you want the default (normalled) system to function.

But this overview might be of help for starters:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-installation-workshop-patchbays

If eveyrthing has balanced connections, it should all be very straightforward, but combining balanced and unbalanced interfaces can be problematic.

The general 'rules' are that outputs appear on the top row and inputs on the bottom row. So if you have a default configuration in mind, configure the relevant interface outputs above the outboard inputs, and the outboard outputs above the interface inputs, with the patchbay normalling links selected as appropriate between the vertical pairs.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Patchbay Basics

Postby The Elf » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:24 pm

You're going to have to list the gear for us at the least.

My 'bluffer's guide' says - always use a balanced cable, whenever you can. I'd add to that to always use a loom whenever you can.

And think this through... how would you 'normally' want to have your studio connected? This is important, since it will define how your patchbay system will be designed. In normal use you should have to have *no* patch cables in the front of the patchbay. Get this right and the patchbay will work with you; get it wrong and you will be fighting it every inch of the way.

The basics... outputs above inputs; think about the normalisation pattern that will make your life easiest... that's about it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.