You are here

Will 100w be enough for solo gigs and recording?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Will 100w be enough for solo gigs and recording?

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:27 pm

CS70 wrote:
seriousnewbie wrote:Guys, sorry if this question sounded stupid, I thought 100w was enough as well, but I had a couple people on google and in person say that 100w might not be enough, it was relatively split.

Just to clarify, I wrote "the question is ridiculous" with a smiley and only because you had used the expression. Absolutely no insult meant.

I got that, wasn't sure he appreciated the Power of the Smiley Icon (we may have just invented PotSI).
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm

CS70 wrote:On a practical note, there's nothing wrong with a 100W amp when you want crystal clean sound: 100W means that you will be heard clearly while using a tiny percentage of the available power, so there'll be loads of headroom available and no preamp/power amp distortion. Often for that stuff people uses Fenders - a Twin is seen on stage very often exactly for that reason - but a Marshall clean channel will do just as well.

Proud owner of a Roland jc120 that hasn't left the house in 15yrs.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:07 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
CS70 wrote:On a practical note, there's nothing wrong with a 100W amp when you want crystal clean sound: 100W means that you will be heard clearly while using a tiny percentage of the available power, so there'll be loads of headroom available and no preamp/power amp distortion. Often for that stuff people uses Fenders - a Twin is seen on stage very often exactly for that reason - but a Marshall clean channel will do just as well.

Proud owner of a Roland jc120 that hasn't left the house in 15yrs.

These are killers for recording!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 pm

The good thing about a 22 W Fender Deluxe reverb is that you have to turn it up since it is not too loud. But cranking it is what makes it sound sweet.

With a 100W amp you may never drive it hard enough into its sweet spot.

I am of the school that the amp is your monitor so you can hear yourself. Part of your instrument. If it does that, then it is enough.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 am

100W is too much for almost everything, as everyone agrees.

that said, if you really really want to go out with that because you guitar people are like that, get an attenuator and ready to go. there are awesome attenuators these days.

another thing to consider, as somebody said to get a 50W instead: the difference in volume from 50 to 100W is minimal.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 am

So, you are playing electric guitar, solo, through the amp? What else is going on, backing tracks, vocals (it would be unusual to be playing country rock, a genre I love BTW, on solo electric guitar with no vocals)? Are you intending to use the same amp for everything or is it just for the electric guitar?

If it is just for the guitar and any vocals and tracks are separately amplified I would choose the Fender Deluxe DC suggests, gorgeous little amplifier*. If everything has to go through the same rig then it, or the Marshall's,** mentioned are not suitable, you need some kind of full range system like a small PA. That teamed up with a modelling pedal of some kind for the guitar sounds would be the most effective route.

* Not quite loud enough to compete with a live drummer if 'Fender Twin Cleans' are what you need.

** Guitar amps don't do a good job reproducing vocals or full range audio like tracks as they have such a limited frequency range (Typically around 80-8,000 Hz compared to 40-20,000 for a full range system).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jaminem » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:57 pm

So....I would suggest something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the purpose you describe for the following reasons

It can go really loud (too loud for some pub gigs) so it covers you for volume
It does cleans really well, which may well suit your style of music
It makes a great pedal platform so you can add different flavours to its sound easily
Its good for recording as it sounds nice turned down with a pedal in front of it.

alternatively you could look at an amp with a built in power soak that'll do loud well, and quiet well...

I use a Tiny Terror and an Egnater Tweaker for this purpose
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby IvanSC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:25 am

FWIW.

I use an eleven watt valve combo for my gigs & even that is a little loud in the studio, because I have a tiny studio.

Any gig where you need more than about ten watts, you should be micing or D.I.ing your guitar through the PA & using the amp primarily for its tone and as a handy onstage monitor for yourself.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 am

10 watts won't keep up with a moderately loud drummer if you want any sort of clean sound. My 18 watt is not quite enough sometimes, if I get back to regular gigs I'll be looking for something about 30 watts.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:57 am

Sam Spoons wrote:10 watts won't keep up with a moderately loud drummer if you want any sort of clean sound. My 18 watt is not quite enough sometimes, if I get back to regular gigs I'll be looking for something about 30 watts.

Hey, "Krazy Man Spoons" , the slippery slope to Pete Townsend-sville.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:15 am

:D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hazer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm

If you want to crank and record the 100W at home get a load box/ and some IRs (cab emulations) sounds really good.

Some to consider:

Two Notes have a range
Suhr Reactive Load IR
Universal Audio OX
Boss Waza Expander

I personally have the Suhr and a Peavey Invective 120 head sounds great but I think all of the above will do the job
Hazer
Regular

Postby Philbo King » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:03 am

I use a 20W Fender Champ, feeding the PA from the headphone output through a DI box. This assumes you have a sound man who is competent enough to give you a usable monitor mix...

If you feel a need to look impressive you can always haul a pair of 4x12 cabs and not connect them. I've seen this a lot with major touring rock acts.

For my part, I have no use for pretentiousness anymore.
Philbo King
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Oh, am I the only one that routinely mics the amp? Live I often use the Mesa in 5W mode with a nice e906 hanging from the top, and cable to the desk. Works a charm.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby adrian_k » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:25 pm

CS70 wrote:Oh, am I the only one that routinely mics the amp? Live I often use the Mesa in 5W mode with a nice e906 hanging from the top, and cable to the desk. Works a charm.

Not with a Mesa but yes, snap, e906 rather than take the preamp output to the desk. When I was gigging that is {sob}.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

PreviousNext