You are here

Cheap(er) foam windshields for large diaphragm condenser mics?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Cheap(er) foam windshields for large diaphragm condenser mics?

Postby paulfromcamden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:46 am

I'm trying to track down some replacement foam windshields that will fit TLM103s.

The idea is that they can be swapped out between clients and washed and/or isolated to reduce covid risk.

I can find loads designed to fit a standard 58 type vocal mic but very little for larger mics beyond the official Neumann foam (£20) or the Rycote alternative (er, £20).

Any suggestions very welcome - thanks! :thumbup:
paulfromcamden
Poster

Re: Cheap(er) foam windshields for large diaphragm condenser mics?

Postby MOF » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 pm

I would have thought a separate windscreen in front of the mic’ would be better.
This one has a double sided nylon screen and so it should be possible to wash it under a tap between sessions. https://m.thomann.de/gb/km_23956_plopki ... gKMnPD_BwE
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby paulfromcamden » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:05 pm

I did actually consider pop shields. I'm just not sure they're any easier to clean - and not a lot cheaper.

The recommendation from DPA is for windshields to be washed in warm water and soap then left for 72 hours before being used again.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-univ ... ic-hygiene
paulfromcamden
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:57 pm

I can't help with cheap sources of foam windshields -- I would have recommended Rycote!

In any case, I'm not a fan of foam windshields. I'd recommend open-cell foam pop-screens every time. Rycote's Studio InVision set has nice open-cell filters which are easily washable and replaceable.... but pricy if you already have a shockmount for the mic!

The best alternative is the Haken equivalent, available in a wide variety of mounting options.

http://www.sound-link.co.uk/hakan/

Again, easily washable and replaceable, and these open-cell foams are completely inaudible, unlike typical foam windshields, and extremely effective at stopping plosives.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:56 pm

I did actually consider pop shields. I'm just not sure they're any easier to clean - and not a lot cheaper.
Soaking it in a sink of warm soapy water and then rinsing under a flowing tap for a few minutes should be easy enough, £16 doesn’t seem very expensive.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 pm

I was going to suggest the Haken option. I've not used them but from a detach-and-wash angle they seem ideal.
Plus Hugh rates them for their acoustic transparency! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm

I have three or four of them with different mounting options and they really are very good indeed.

Haken uses slightly thicker foams than Rycote, and they're round rather than the slightly larger ellipse shape of the Rycote, but both are equally effective and completely acoustically transparent.

And both are easy to remove from their support frames for washing. And they dry very quickly and are easy to refit.

I forecast an appearance from JW to sing their praises very soon.... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:15 pm

I think that might be a bit small Mike but I did find another alternative at the bottom of that listing that looks promising...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foam-Mic-Win ... 0005.m1851
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I can't help with cheap sources of foam windshields -- I would have recommended Rycote!

In any case, I'm not a fan of foam windshields. I'd recommend open-cell foam pop-screens every time. Rycote's Studio InVision set has nice open-cell filters which are easily washable and replaceable.... but pricy if you already have a shockmount for the mic!

The best alternative is the Haken equivalent, available in a wide variety of mounting options.

http://www.sound-link.co.uk/hakan/

Again, easily washable and replaceable, and these open-cell foams are completely inaudible, unlike typical foam windshields, and extremely effective at stopping plosives.

Thanks Hugh - spare foams are available for the Håkan Pop Killer and they are hydrophobic and easily washed.

I did have one customer the other day that found that the Neumann BCM version clips perfectly onto the TLM 103 and bought one from me for his TLM 103.

This is a picture he sent me of it on the TLM 103 (I did a quick cut-out of the background as I did not think it fair to show his room)

This is an old one belonging to a friend of his before he bought the new one.

There is still the gooseneck version, of course.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby MOF » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 pm

The Hakan is more than £20 though, however because it’s for paying (?) clients it doesn’t seem an unreasonable cost.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:41 pm

That's not exactly a difficult DIY project, its not even that hard to make it look like a proper product.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby IvanSC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 am

Nylon pop socks over a steel wire coathanger "adapted" to fit the shape of your mic. I do have fancy ones like the rycotes, plus an old AKG one that also uses old stockings since the original cover wore out, but the fail-safe is always going to be pop socks and coathangers for me.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby John Willett » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:30 am

IvanSC wrote:Nylon pop socks over a steel wire coathanger "adapted" to fit the shape of your mic. I do have fancy ones like the rycotes, plus an old AKG one that also uses old stockings since the original cover wore out, but the fail-safe is always going to be pop socks and coathangers for me.

Nylon pop filters do colour the sound, though - especially at higher frequencies.

The reason that the Håkan and Rycote ones were developed in the first place - the added advantage is that the foam is hydrophobic and can be easily washed and it dries quickly. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby ef37a » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:08 am

John Willett wrote:
IvanSC wrote:Nylon pop socks over a steel wire coathanger "adapted" to fit the shape of your mic. I do have fancy ones like the rycotes, plus an old AKG one that also uses old stockings since the original cover wore out, but the fail-safe is always going to be pop socks and coathangers for me.

Nylon pop filters do colour the sound, though - especially at higher frequencies.

The reason that the Håkan and Rycote ones were developed in the first place - the added advantage is that the foam is hydrophobic and can be easily washed and it dries quickly. :thumbup:

I can't hear high frequencies and anyone that has ,has had wife or daughters will attest 'nylon' can be washed and dried PDQ!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster