You are here

Best DAW to work with virtual instruments and high resolution MIDI

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Best DAW to work with virtual instruments and high resolution MIDI

Postby fdaparicio » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 am

I would appreciate any thoughts on the best DAW for music production based heavily on virtual instruments and high resolution MIDI.
fdaparicio
Mr Mucho

Re: Best DAW to work with virtual instruments and high resolution MIDI

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:59 am

Will you be buying a computer based on your final DAW decision or will you be looking for the best DAW for your Mac or PC, or other platform that you already have?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby seriousnewbie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 am

Well, I guess any *most* modern DAW’s will work great with vst instruments, because a very large amount of the music and sound projects greatly rely on them. Although of course I have to say Reaper, Mac and windows, and it is “free” but is better than many ones out there. I’m sure you’re gonna hear Reaper a lot, it’s popular and for great reason.

You might hate me for this, because I remember starting out and hating when people would tell me this, but most of it has to do with preference. Also, this is my personal preference, but I really don’t like Ableton or FL studio, at all. Far too expensive for what they are.

P.S. I just feel obligated to say this, if you choose reaper and you start making money off of reaper, please pay for it, just common curtesy.
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby resistorman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:50 am

Reaper is not free. If you use it as your DAW whether you make money or not you should pay the measly 60 bucks.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby fdaparicio » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:26 am

Thank you for the info. Always listen to others' opinions, which is the only way to improve my knowledge base!
fdaparicio
Mr Mucho

Postby seriousnewbie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:27 am

resistorman wrote:Reaper is not free. If you use it as your DAW whether you make money or not you should pay the measly 60 bucks.
Technically correct, but that seems to be too much to ask for some adults. Also for anyone reading this later who is getting a DAW, 60 bucks is nothing for a DAW, so as this person said, just support em
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 am

resistorman wrote:Reaper is not free. If you use it as your DAW whether you make money or not you should pay the measly 60 bucks.

^^^ This
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am

What is 'high resolution MIDI'?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:18 am

Cakewalk by Bandlab, is a powerfull DAW for free & has a strong MIDI heritage going back several decades.

Is free any good ?
I think paid about £250 for the last cakewalk SONAR update before Bandlab took over and made it free.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:29 am

N i g e l wrote:Cakewalk by Bandlab, is a powerfull DAW for free & has a strong MIDI heritage going back several decades.

Is free any good ?
I think paid about £250 for the last cakewalk SONAR update before Bandlab took over and made it free.

I really want to like Cakewalk, I really like the GUI, I think it is far better than Cubase, which of course I pay a lot of money for.

But that said the workflow in Cubase is so much better, despite how many times I try the Bandland Cakewalk. I select the correct Instrument/MIDI IO for whatever channel and on some the note plays when I play the note and the other stays stubbornly silent.

I have also followed the instructions to try and get my control surface working - nah, no chance
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Well, fair comment !
You raise an important issue with hardware compatibility.

I cant really compare Cakewalk to all other DAW options as I have been committed to cakewalk for decades (!) - it has always allowed me to achieve what I want & is capable of a whole lot more apparently.
The only other DAW ive looked at recently was Reaper {I was a bit worried about the longevity of cakewalk when Bandlab initially took over }

I had Reaper up and running with some useful sounds comming out over the course a weekend but it made me realise how much detail in cakewalk I had learned & just took for granted.
Knowing where to click, set things up and get things going is one thing but the intracies of how a particular plugin behaves is another - x100.

Adopting a DAW is a major time/life commitment, so do research & choose appropriate to your future needs [ and check out if they have tutorials on uTube]
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:57 pm

The most 'intuitive' DAW is the one you already know. Nigel is totally correct that learning a DAW is a lifetime commitment (for most of us at least)*.

The thing is that all the DAWs work in broadly similar ways but there are two 'camps'. Loop based and Linear. Most fall into the Linear camp, (Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, Reaper etc.) but some, like Ableton are loop based. So if you make loop based music something like Ableton is probably going to work best for you, if you record instruments or use VSTi's to create 'live' sounding arrangements then Cubase or Reaper might be best. I suspect that if you pick he right 'camp' then it doesn't matter much which DAW you choose, you'll just learn how to work it and get on with making music.

* Okay, I've done it twice (three times really if you countthe first, midi only, Yamaha CX5M 'sequencer' but that wasn't a DAW in the modern sense), Cubase and then, after 8 years on hardware using Wavelab for mastering only and a switch to Apple computers, Reaper for the last 8 years or so. They'll all get the job done and the time spent learning a new DAW is way out of proportion compared with the net benefit doing so.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........