You are here

Adding effects to a track in ableton live 10 with external mixer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Adding effects to a track in ableton live 10 with external mixer

Postby bruza83 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 am

Here we go ive spent the weekend setting up ableton live 10 with my audio interface (focusrite scarlett 1820 2nd gen) and digital mixer(Yamaha 03D)
I've put a track together consisting of 6 channels all the ext outs are set to correspond with the faders on the external mixer everything works well levels are good for someone just starting out.

Now I want to add some effects from the onboard effects of the mixer to say the vocals i added some reverb.
Obviously I can hear the effect through my head phones and monitors and obviously it will have no effect on that particular track in ableton.
So my question is would I have to re record those vocals on to another track for that effect to work in ableton and if so how would I go about it. And how would I record underneath the original vocal track for reference purposes

I'm fully aware that I could just use the ableton effects but I'd rather go to long way round and learn

Thanks in advance
Glenn
bruza83
Poster

Re: Adding effects to a track in ableton live 10 with external mixer

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:41 am

I add external effects by sending out from Ableton to my hardware mixer, and take the output of the mixer back into a new track in Ableton, I do it this way with all my music apps,
I believe you can set up a dedicated send/return in Ableton, but I prefer not to do it this way. As always, there are are a few ways you can do this.
This video may help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbrOcCScHCE
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:08 pm

As Arpy says, you need to return the reverb to the DAW, I might set the reverb to 100% wet and record it to an additional track so you can mix the dry vocal and the reverb to taste at final mix down..
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby bruza83 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Arpangel wrote:I add external effects by sending out from Ableton to my hardware mixer, and take the output of the mixer back into a new track in Ableton, I do it this way with all my music apps,
I believe you can set up a dedicated send/return in Ableton, but I prefer not to do it this way. As always, there are are a few ways you can do this.
This video may help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbrOcCScHCE
Thanks for getting back to me i know how to get the signal from ableton to the mixer and add the effect then im returning it via adat but how do i set ableton to take the signal in to another track to re record it with the effect

Thanks
bruza83
Poster