You are here

A floppy drive orchestra!!!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby wireman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Not really keen on this particular choice of sound source.

I would like to see someone build an automated immersive installation using all the known metal instruments you hit with hammers. Big gongs, bowls, steel drums, handbells etc.
wireman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 am

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Pah! What's the point in that? Just putting itinerant gong-bashers out of work with no new sounds to show for it! :protest: (Also, joking aside, I suspect it may have been done!)
User avatar
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3834
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gallifrey
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:12 pm

I think Martin posted a link on the inspiration thread a while ago. If I get a mo I'll have a shufti.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12194
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby resistorman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:04 am

I was wondering if you could call this a synthesizer...
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:00 pm

resistorman wrote:I was wondering if you could call this a synthesizer...
I wouldn’t, I would call this an electromechanical instrument.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm

wireman wrote:Not really keen on this particular choice of sound source.

I would like to see someone build an automated immersive installation using all the known metal instruments you hit with hammers. Big gongs, bowls, steel drums, handbells etc.

As Drew intimated, I DID post a link to something like this some time ago, so here's the link to it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 70#p660956

Image


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16696
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:18 pm

It's because I remember things like this that I can't remember resistor colour coding anymore.


Maybe...
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12194
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby wireman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:50 am

Martin Walker wrote:
wireman wrote:Not really keen on this particular choice of sound source.

I would like to see someone build an automated immersive installation using all the known metal instruments you hit with hammers. Big gongs, bowls, steel drums, handbells etc.

As Drew intimated, I DID post a link to something like this some time ago, so here's the link to it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 70#p660956

Interesting, I had thought of this because my son in law asked me to record a 'tongue drum' so he can incorporate it in compositions for games. This was the first time I had come across such an instrument, I think it would be pot luck in what quality of tones you get though as there is quite a variation across the more pure tone zones.
wireman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:00 am

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 am

blinddrew wrote:It's because I remember things like this that I can't remember resistor colour coding anymore.

Bye Bye Rosey, Off You Go, Birmingham Via Great Western :thumbup:
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16696
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:17 am

This is incredible, he’s treading on the toes of Look Mum No Computer here, I wonder if he’s seen it?

:crazy:
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5913
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Kwackman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:26 am

Martin Walker wrote:
blinddrew wrote:It's because I remember things like this that I can't remember resistor colour coding anymore.

Bye Bye Rosey, Off You Go, Birmingham Via Great Western :thumbup:
or
Black Beetles Running On Your Garden Bring Very Good Weather.
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2007
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 am

And for those of us not into the minutiae of electronic components these mean what exactly? ;)
User avatar
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3834
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gallifrey
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Kwackman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:36 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:And for those of us not into the minutiae of electronic components these mean what exactly? ;)

https://uk.farnell.com/resistor-colour-code-calculator
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2007
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:47 am

Kwackman wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:
blinddrew wrote:It's because I remember things like this that I can't remember resistor colour coding anymore.

Bye Bye Rosey, Off You Go, Birmingham Via Great Western :thumbup:
or
Black Beetles Running On Your Garden Bring Very Good Weather.

Or,
Bombastic Barnstorming Roughly Overshadows Yodelling George Branson's Vertical Witterings.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5913
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: A floppy drive orchestra!!!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:50 am

You missed the penultimate G
User avatar
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3834
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Gallifrey
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

PreviousNext