You are here

Cable recommendations for audio interface connections

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Cable recommendations for audio interface connections

Postby timetorecordstuff » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Hello, this might get really technical and geeky. I don't know anything about cables and what makes a good cable or a bad cable.

I need a 15 ft USB C to USB A cable to go from my Steinberg UR22 to my mac.

Is there a superior cable brand? Is it possible for a bad cable to add noise to my signal?
What data transfer rate should I ensure the cable has?

Just want to make sure I do my research before buying a cable. Anything on Amazon you can recommend also?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
timetorecordstuff
Poster

Re: Cable recommendations for audio interface connections

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:43 pm

Assuming you're talking a USB cable, the Lindy ones get a good nod round here, and a 15ft you'll be wanting a decent one.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby timetorecordstuff » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:57 pm

blinddrew wrote:Assuming you're talking a USB cable, the Lindy ones get a good nod round here, and a 15ft you'll be wanting a decent one.

Yes a USB A to USB C. Thank you!
timetorecordstuff
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:07 am

+1 for Lindy - their name almost inevitably pops up when people here recommend long digital cables.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby timetorecordstuff » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:24 pm

So I'm in Canada and having a really hard time finding a way to purchase a Lindy cable. Anyone have any luck finding one in Canada?
timetorecordstuff
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:47 pm

timetorecordstuff wrote:So I'm in Canada and having a really hard time finding a way to purchase a Lindy cable. Anyone have any luck finding one in Canada?

Interestingly enough you can buy some of their cables from Walmart but not the long USB cables.

Amazon.ca also seem to sell their cables.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am

Before you spend out do check the Steinberg manual to see if they suggest a maximum length of USB cable.

The common standard is 5mtrs I understand but some interface makers consider 3mtrs to be a safe maximum. I found this to be the case with my Naive Instruments KA6. Would not 'lock' on some 5mtr cables and one computer, would on another. The 'good' cable was indeed a Lindy.

You can get 'active' USB cables that extend well past 5mtrs but AIs can be fussy sod's and I have never tried one. Maybe a re-think of the layout? Have a 3mtr USB link because you can extend mic and balanced output cables almost ad.inf?

Err? My picture of a UR22 shows a USB "B" port. I assume the mac only has C ports so you want a 5mtr "C to B" USB cable. Probably only found under rocking horses. I am sure you can get adaptors.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:36 pm

AFAICT a USB C to B adapter does not exist but you can get C to B cables although 5mtrs might be a bit of a stretch.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:59 pm

I guess the adapter you are thinking of (and doesn't exist)* would be a USB C female to USB B male? A USB C - USB A female adapter would get you there at the computer end of the cable but yes a USB C (host) to USB B cable would be a neater solution.

* Adapters are rarely made to fit at the slave end of the cable IME.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:22 pm

According to the Steinberg website, the UR22 has a USB2 Type B socket.

So you need a USB2 type B plug to USB3 type C plug. Nt sure if they are available in the lengths you need.

So I would suggest you source a good quality USB2 type B plug to USB2 type A plug cable of the length you require (this will probably be the easiest type to find for longer lengths) and then use a USB2 type A socket to USB3 type C plug adaptor. Apple make a suitable adaptor, at typical Apple prices, and I have a couple of them. One is being used for my Arturia Keylab 49 which is supplied with a short USB-B to USB-A cable.

I presume other similar adaptors are available.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:40 am

Hmm? I 'quite' like the USB C connector. The plug seems pretty robust and the 'any way round' is a great idea, especially for those of us with less than 20-20 minces!

But, did it HAVE to be SO dinky? Why could the standard plug not be about the same size as a USB A jobby but keeping the solid construction and round edges? I also think the current connector will be prey to dirt and damage? Especially for 'pro/road' use?

The present one could have been reserved for phones and other small format devices. There is already a huge USB 'zoo' so one more adator lead would have made little difference and most of the others will die out eventually anyway.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster