You are here

Choosing a DAW controller for Cubase - any suggestions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Choosing a DAW controller for Cubase - any suggestions

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:55 am

Mr. Elf, does the x touch support cubase track colors yet?

I’ve been tempted to get one, but without the colors...
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am

ore_terra wrote:Mr. Elf, does the x touch support cubase track colors yet?
No. I doubt it ever will.

Neither have I managed to get my head around how to access the colours myself, either.

Let's not forget that Cubase can have hundreds of colours too - the X-Touch has only a handful; how you would map this I don't know.

Just think of it as not having colour at all - the Mackie devices it is based on never had colour either.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:13 am

shame... I don't see a multifader control surface making my life easier without the colors since I don't see very well :wave:

I would have liked to complement my beloved CC121 with one or two x touch extenders.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am

MegaBacher wrote:I'd just as soon have that hover-knob function as a single hardware thing, rather the rest of the kit, just give me a universal knob to hover my mouse and play around with.
Of interest? https://www.nobcontrol.com/
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MegaBacher » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:04 pm

blinddrew wrote:
MegaBacher wrote:I'd just as soon have that hover-knob function as a single hardware thing, rather the rest of the kit, just give me a universal knob to hover my mouse and play around with.
Of interest? https://www.nobcontrol.com/

Too bad it's sold out.
MegaBacher
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 am

The Control surface is the heart of your recording experience an extension to your hands and arms and the communications portal with your DAW. If you are recording more than mixing then maybe its less of an importance but for mixing with automation for me, its absolutely vital/critical. It is now the last piece of the jigsaw in my studio upgrade and been the hardest and challenging deciding which option is best.

X32 Compact, Control Surface Audio Interface and small enough to be a complete mobile /static studio on its own. Plenty of add-ons limited only by having 17 faders and moderate quality sample rate. There is the slightly cheaper x32 Producer NO strip bar not considered.

X-Touch nice Control Surface small footprint but limited use functionality only 9 faders and no audio interface. Out done by the small additional price for the bigger more versatile X32 Compact.

X32 Full, if you have the space then this has to be seriously considered. Only draw back size, yes its mobile (JUST) but again limited be only a moderate sample rate.

Midas M32R?? Top quality audio interface and acceptable desk footprint MOBILE and priced similar to the X32 Full but with less faders.

Wing - let down by the same 48kHz sample rate as the X32 - NOT CONSIDERED good enough for studio considering its "premium" price

If I were starting again I would have bought the Midas but I already have a full rack based audio recording system. I like the extra faders on the X32 full, but I am limited on space so the X32 Compact is more practical. Having an all in one mobile studio could potentially be useful X32 certainly is but the full version is rather BIG for one person to manage. I know one day I will pull the trigger and just click a button and buy the X32, but which one?? They all hold their value well so you can be assured they are all good value for money !! BUt the Midas is way better as it has proper Midas pre amps not just ones designed by them? aaaaugh, not an easy decision
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 am

uselessoldman wrote:X-Touch nice Control Surface small footprint but limited use functionality only 9 faders and no audio interface. Out done by the small additional price for the bigger more versatile X32 Compact.
Err... more than triple the price from what I can see!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:45 am

I'd listen to the Elf. I certainly am as I have been looking for exactly the same thing.
Zukan

Postby Luke W » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 am

The Elf wrote:
uselessoldman wrote:X-Touch nice Control Surface small footprint but limited use functionality only 9 faders and no audio interface. Out done by the small additional price for the bigger more versatile X32 Compact.
Err... more than triple the price from I what I can see!

No interface would be a plus point for me personally. I can see the appeal of an all in one if it's for a new setup or to replace multiple parts of a system, but I'd assume that most people adding a control surface will likely already have an interface that does what they need so it's just an additional cost and parts for a feature that probably won't get used.

I'll admit to being pretty fussy with control surfaces in general though. The intergration with the software has to be really good to make it worthwhile personally, one or two buttons that go unused or don't do what they say on the tin and I'm out!
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

I use an X32 Compact as my interface, I have, briefly, looked into using it for DAW control (I currently use Reaper as a sort of 'souped up' tape recorder and mix through the X32C) and discovered that DAW control is only available on the second bank of faders*

The X-Touch plus an X-Touch Extender gives you 17 faders for just over half the cost of an X32C (£514 + VAT as opposed to £990 + VAT).

* I don't know if this is still the case as I haven't looked at it recently.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm

AS an inexpensive control surface the x-touch is hard to beat and its expandable including the x-air series of snakes/rack mountable interfaces so a no brainer and I think unrivalled by anything anyone else can offer. Its just a shame they do not do one with more faders as standard that would be an absolute killer, like the x32 full for studios
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:57 pm

I don't know. Once you're having to scroll back and forth to make a lesser number of faders meet a greater number of tracks, then whether a control surface has 8/16/32 faders doesn't really matter so much, at least that's how my mind takes it. For any typical mix even 32 isn't going to allow me to avoid scrolling. How long does anyone spend working on the fader levels of a mix as opposed to all the other minutiae?

And given that, no matter how much anyone squirms, the mouse and keyboard are going to be far quicker to do the majority of detailed work in any sophisticated DAW, it's probably better kept to a smaller size than a typical mixer.

For those who need them, extenders are an option, but I dread to think of having to find space for one here, and I bet I'm not alone.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:24 pm

I find 8 is a good compromise between space and use. It's generally enough to pull together any submixes*, and I generally run things into 8 busses for the master so that works for me as well.

*drums might run but over actually I find if I'm using that many channels I've probably ballsed things up earlier in the recording process.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:03 pm

The Elf wrote:I don't know. Once you're having to scroll back and forth to make a lesser number of faders meet a greater number of tracks, then whether a control surface has 8/16/32 faders doesn't really matter so much, at least that's how my mind takes it. For any typical mix even 32 isn't going to allow me to avoid scrolling. How long does anyone spend working on the fader levels of a mix as opposed to all the other minutiae?

And given that, no matter how much anyone squirms, the mouse and keyboard are going to be far quicker to do the majority of detailed work in any sophisticated DAW, it's probably better kept to a smaller size than a typical mixer.

For those who need them, extenders are an option, but I dread to think of having to find space for one here, and I bet I'm not alone.

I have the same thoughts about extenders and have stuck with an 8 + master fader control surface setup but I added a notation launchpad which has an 8*8 matrix of pads from which I can access any of 64 tracks at random. A which a single fader ‘follows’ the Launchpad track selected. The Launchpad also has another number of ‘buttons’ which I have configured to activate commonly used commands and macros. Best thing about it is that it takes up little space, is usb powered and the pads light up to give instant feedback. Would be so good if notation made an equally compact gizmo something like the BCR2000
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scouser » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:
I've never got on with mice and computer keyboards very well, they just seem to dump me out of creative mode. I may become less happy when proper mix time arrives, but I guess I have some time to figure that out still.

I really like the buttons as well, I hated the harsh click on the Alphatrack, maybe silly but it did put me off using

Another ex Alphatrack user here, also thinking of going the x touch route, for similar reasons. Probably go for the one channel version.

Would be really interested to know what the Cubase integration is like with these units, as I have heard mixed reports. Better than Alphatrack ? Is it straightforward to control plug-ins?

The CC121, seems like a better option, for one channel, but very expensive in comparison.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext