You are here

Recommend a cheap USB webcam for mac please!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Recommend a cheap USB webcam for mac please!

Postby Smellthevalve » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:16 pm

I got myself an Eyonme w6 last year at a reduced price (normally £29)
Seems to do the job well on zoom; according to the blurb it has ‘noise reduction technology’ but the audio bit rate is described as 32 kbp which seems quite low
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm

That sold me, thanks Eddy!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I've only used it on Windows (and it 'just worked'). I don't have Catalina I'm afraid so can't say either way on that although it seems to be a class compliant device. I plugged it into Yoshimi-Pi but I couldn't find any webcam software on there to test it with. Any recommendations Will?

Here is a (jump into) a youtube video showing the picture and sound. For £23 I'm more than happy with the image quality.

The video mentions an external mic but the webcam doesn't have a mic input; he must be using a separate microphone altogether, which is what I do of course.
Try starting the package manager from apps, then look for webcamoid. I don't know how well this would work - never done any webby cammy stuff.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 pm

The only cheap webcam I ever got was branded Dericam. It was awful. I returned it to Amazon for a refund and left a poor review. Subsequently the makers contacted me in a series of emails offering me progressively greater amounts of money until they topped out at 40 quid if only I'd drop the review. The review is still there but it was an interesting insight into the morals of cheap webcam makers.

I've stuck to Logitech since then though it can be difficult to get them at the list price (but we managed it).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Subsequently the makers contacted me in a series of emails offering me progressively greater amounts of money until they topped out at 40 quid

Amazing! What amount would have changed your mind, I wonder? ;)
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:27 pm

I wouldn't have. I'd already had my money back from Amazon so getting more money would have felt doubly immoral. Of course, if they'd offered some millions then maybe I would have thought carefully ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
International Mercurial Man of Mystery.

Postby vetko10071979 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm

I also had a need for a Webcam for my mac
A friend advised me to use this Logitech C922x Pro camera. I am happy with the picture quality. For the money it's worth it.
vetko10071979
New here

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks but at £120 that doesn't really conform to my 'cheap' criterion!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:00 pm

OK, got the one Eddy recommended and it's good vfm. Quite laggy and somewhat grainy/contrasty but does the job. Don't think you'd use it for pro level streaming or YT vids, the quality isn't there at all, but for the odd FaceTime or Zoom outing it's fine. Thanks for all the suggestions! :thumbup:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby al_diablo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:OK, got the one Eddy recommended and it's good vfm. Quite laggy and somewhat grainy/contrasty but does the job. Don't think you'd use it for pro level streaming or YT vids, the quality isn't there at all, but for the odd FaceTime or Zoom outing it's fine. Thanks for all the suggestions! :thumbup:

The cheap sensors get very noisy in low light, if you had a lamp knocking around that you could put a daylight temperature bulb in it might sort a bit of the grain out
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:18 pm

I tried a couple of lamps, one a cheap ring lamp my son got for video purposes, and just a strong LED desk light but neither made a difference. The performance in real daylight is no better, actually.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:35 pm

You can also press a DSLR into service as a quality webcam. Eg with this software https://cascable.se/pro-webcam . There are some ways to do it free as well, but as it's been a while since I looked into it, the way you have to go about that might have changed...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm

You can use your phone, too, very simply, but mine's too old to load the software!! :oops:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:04 pm

Dr Huge is sorted, but for anyone else passing by...

I'm using camcorders as webcams now... as long as you have some form of HDMI output on the camera and something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-USB-3-0-2-0-Video-Capture-Card-4K-HD-Recorder-for-Video-Live-Stream-UK/184555742144?hash=item2af86123c0:g:9T4AAOSwETZfKo2H you're good to go.

I've just today incorporated an HDMI switcher on the front-end of this too. Gives me the choice of multiple inputs to be used as my 'webcam'.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous