You are here

Mobile recording rig

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mobile recording rig

Postby sound bites » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Back then if you wanted anything more than what Currys et al had on offer you went to London to Tottenham Court Road/Charing Cross Road.

Anyone remember G W Smith? Lasky's? REW? (John Willett of this parish worked in REW back in the mid 70s... he could well have served me at some point!)

My best mate lived off Tottenham Court Rd. at that time. We didn’t have any money then, but we did go window shopping.
Thank you so much for sharing!
sound bites
Poster

Postby wireman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:12 pm

sound bites wrote:Lasky's?!

There was one in St James Centre in Edinburgh.
I think I purchased an Aiwa AD-F660 tape deck there.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:09 pm

Laskys and Comet expanded dramatically in the home hi-fi boom of the early 70s - opening shops in various parts of the UK.

IIRC G W Smith was bought-out by Laskys who in turn were amalgamated with Comet.

Now all gone...!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser835035 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:42 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
Back then if you wanted anything more than what Currys et al had on offer you went to London to Tottenham Court Road/Charing Cross Road.
Anyone remember G W Smith? Lasky's? REW? (John Willett of this parish worked in REW back in the mid 70s... he could well have served me at some point!)

I used to work at Charing Cross Rd REW, around early 1973. Also at their Tooting branch which was closer to where I lived. I didn't last long - a couple of months or so - and got fired on my birthday. :oops:
A couple of years after that, for my sins, I ended up working for RG Jones as a PA and recording enngineer!! That lasted a couple of years or so and was a lot more fun than REW! :lol:
forumuser835035

Previous