You are here

Check a mix

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Check a mix

Postby forumuser828680 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:56 pm

What media do you forum members use check yr mixes other than yr studio speakers?

lets say, in the car, or any other place than yr studio?

I was burning CDs to check in the car and on a boom box but that technology seems not the way to go anymore.

thx
forumuser828680
Poster

Re: Check a mix

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:00 pm

I don't do much cross reference anymore (the Audeze LCD-X being the reason, between them, the main speakers and the Auratone I get decent mixes out of the box) but since most people will hear the mix on Spotify/Youtube, or in the car, I usually dropbox a version on my phone (perhaps pseudo-mastered with a limiter) and have a listen there and via bluetooth in the car.

I find the car is very useful for the stereo image, after listening to much commercial music there it encourages you to go much wider with the stereo panning than otherwise.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:10 pm

Phone speaker, car, and bluetooth speaker for me.
If I can get it sounding ok on those three, plus monitors and headphones, then it's probably as far as I can take it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Anything. Everything. Laptop, iPad in the shower, hi-fi from another room, phone on the bedside table... If it sounds good in the car it's a good sign. Don't forget mono checks.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blakedirksen » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:12 pm

I've always been surprised what I learn when I just step out of the room while the the monitors play in my mixing room.
blakedirksen
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:39 pm

Main nearfield loudspeakers, headphones, mini grot box (which also doubles as a mono check).

Between the three of those (and the Sonarworks Reference software to equalise out the loudspeakers/room and headphones), my mixes seem to travel well.

If I do burn a CD I'll listen to it in the car, because as CS70 mentions the stereo imaging is much wider there, but my headphone checks tend to let me hear a car-like environment anyway, so I rarely get any surprises.

Martin
Martin Walker