You are here

Flute recording for newbie

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Flute recording for newbie

Postby xor2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:49 am

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum.

I would like to ask you what devices you would suggest to buy to cover all of the below points:

It is all about flute recording. My daughter is 1st grader in music school where she plays flute. We have lots of online flute lessons as well we record lots of pieces together with piano (played from midi files).

1. For online lessons we meet with the teacher on MsTeams. I have Canon EOS 80D I connect with webcam drivers which let me to have the video from it but no sound. Sound is from the computer. The quality of the video is good, the sound is not. I need to buy some kind of microphone to have it closer the flute ....

2. I would like to have nicer recordings of the pieces. I record all of them (video and sound) on above canon 80D, with built in microphone. The sound is not so good. I don't know how I should properly:

A) Play piano part from midi file for the flutist
B) Record flute and piano (video and sound)
C) Edit final video taking piano part from file but video and flute sound from camera / eternal microphone ...

I have been reading a lot about microphones cable-mics, wireless-mic. To most of them I need some kind of mixer (phantom plug..?).

Could someone please suggest something to cover above two scenarios?
xor2

Re: Flute recording for newbie

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:53 am

Hi and welcome.

The best way to do this would involve a bit of learning on your part but may well be worth the effort. The gear needed would be an audio interface, a microphone (or two) a pair of headphones (or two) and some computer recording software (a Digital Audio Workstation or DAW).

Let us know what computer you are using, how you are playing the midi files and any music software you have.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Flute recording for newbie

Postby xor2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi, Thanx for answer.

"Let us know what computer you are using, how you are playing the midi files and any music software you have."

I am using Win 10 pro. Midi files currently I am playing from my phone (Android) connected to computer speakers....
xor2