You are here

Trying to find vintage wireless microphone

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Trying to find vintage wireless microphone

Postby shoom » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi there all,

I am trying to find out what type of microphone is a long handled interview type wireless microphone for live TV broadcast from the late 70s / early 80s ...

The mic itself was about 4 or 5 feet long and was white in colour and looked like it could have been made out of plastic or aluminium . The mic in question I'm sure was intended for presenters to be able to interview someone sitting a couple of aisles away without having to reach , which is exactly how I saw it being used on a sports show of the era (of which I have forgotten which or what type.) Maybe the battery(ies) were in the handle.

I hope one of you can help me find the make and model, as so far I havent been able to find anything!

And thankyou in advance to the moderator just incase this is in the wrong forum, and I hope you can find the correct place for it,,

Kindest Regards.
shoom

Re: Trying to find vintage wireless microphone

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Are you talking about seeing this in the UK, or Europe, or the USA? The location will affect the likely options significantly.

I don't know of any interview mic being 4-5 feet long. I suspect what you're thinking of is a standard radio-mic mounted at the end of a short 'fishpole' boom.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm

I visualised a longer version of Terry's 'Blankety Blank' mic (which I think was just a prop?) but IIRC the BBC used floor standing interview mics with the capsule remote from the body on a chrome extension so could it be something like that?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:.. the BBC used floor standing interview mics with the capsule remote from the body on a chrome extension so could it be something like that?

That was AKG's CMS system where you could mix and match a couple of different C451 preamp bodies (silver or black, with or without high-pass filter switches), with a wide range of different CKn capsules*, A51 'knuckles' to angle the capsule from the preamp, in-line 10dB or 20dB pads that screwed between capsule and preamp, and then the short VR1 and long VR2 extension tubes.

Scarily fine threads that were easily cross-threaded if you weren't paying close attention, but a really versatile system that was used extensively throughout BBC TV in the Centre, Nations and Regions.

*The ones I remember are the standard CK1 cardioid, CK2 omni later replaced with the much longer CK22, CK3 hypercardioid, CK5 (cardioid with a bog mesh pop screen for vocals), CK8 (short shotgun), CK9 long shotgun, and the rare Ck4 fig-8 capsule.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Kwackman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:55 pm

You can see the mic and top end of a VR1 in the videos Sam Inglis does, e.g.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... -engineers
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:.. the BBC used floor standing interview mics with the capsule remote from the body on a chrome extension so could it be something like that?

That was AKG's CMS system where you could mix and match a couple of different C451 preamp bodies (silver or black, with or without high-pass filter switches), with a wide range of different CKn capsules*, A51 'knuckles' to angle the capsule from the preamp, in-line 10dB or 20dB pads that screwed between capsule and preamp, and then the short VR1 and long VR2 extension tubes.

Scarily fine threads that were easily cross-threaded if you weren't paying close attention, but a really versatile system that was used extensively throughout BBC TV in the Centre, Nations and Regions.

*The ones I remember are the standard CK1 cardioid, CK2 omni later replaced with the much longer CK22, CK3 hypercardioid, CK5 (cardioid with a bog mesh pop screen for vocals), CK8 (short shotgun), CK9 long shotgun, and the rare Ck4 fig-8 capsule.

I have a couple of old AKG C451/CK1 mics, the threads are very fine. but most similar threads, even SM58 baskets, are pretty fine.

Kwackman wrote:You can see the mic and top end of a VR1 in the videos Sam Inglis does, e.g.
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... -engineers

That does indeed look like the setup...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have a couple of old AKG C451/CK1 mics, the threads are very fine. but most similar threads, even SM58 baskets, are pretty fine.

I think the CK1 threads were the finest I've ever worked with. When the 451 was replaced with the 460 (and then the 480) series, they changed to a much coarser pitch which made them far more robust and reliable.

I always preferred the original Calrec modular mics which used something akin to standard British Gas pipe threads! Very chunky!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:08 pm

I have a Calrec too, nice mic :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:03 pm

I think the CK1 threads were the finest I've ever worked with. When the 451 was replaced with the 460 (and then the 480) series, they changed to a much coarser pitch which made them far more robust and reliable.

Agreed!!

Regarding the OP, if the CK capsules + VR1, VR2 extension tubes + preamp are what you saw they wouldn’t be wireless.
MOF
Frequent Poster