You are here

AKG D190e - is this mic a secret?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: AKG D190e - is this mic a secret?

Postby Jadoube » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Steve Hill wrote:Awful things, quite rightly discontinued maybe 30 years ago because the SM57 blew them away!

+1 We had a couple. I tried them once. I'd rather borrow the singer's disgusting ol 58 than use one of these as a last resort :lol:
Jadoube
Regular
_________
David

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:14 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
MOF wrote:
Hands up all those who bought some of these ( I know I did ;) )

Martin
No, but I did buy a Tandy PZM mic’ and then made it worse by trying to make it balanced output, according to some instructions I’d read somewhere.

Yay, I've got two of those with the same mod.

Yep, me too. They still work fine too.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby MOF » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:49 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
MOF wrote:
Hands up all those who bought some of these ( I know I did ;) )

Martin
No, but I did buy a Tandy PZM mic’ and then made it worse by trying to make it balanced output, according to some instructions I’d read somewhere.

Yay, I've got two of those with the same mod.

Yep, me too. They still work fine too.

I can’t remember why it seemed worse. I’ve still got it in the loft somewhere, I don’t think I’ll rush to find and use it as I’ve got much better microphones now and no real use for a PZM.
I do remember reading that Crown used to sell thousands of surplus mic’ capsules to Tandy after they’d tested them for correct tolerances in their own PZM mic’s. The Tandy ones weren’t necessarily inferior, they just didn’t need that many.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:26 pm

I saw a BBC 4 documentary last night about Ella Fitzgerald, in one clip she was using the D190 and it sounded fine. In another clip she was using the D202, it sounded better but not ‘night and day’ better.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 am

MOF wrote:I saw a BBC 4 documentary last night about Ella Fitzgerald, in one clip she was using the D190 and it sounded fine. In another clip she was using the D202, it sounded better but not ‘night and day’ better.

BBC four tonight, 10:45pm, "Ella Fitzgerald at Ronnie Scott's".

Niiiice!

Yup, d190, sounded great from my PoV although I can't help thinking EF sounded a little strained which is sometimes a sign of a badly matched mic.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:16 am

Very hard to compare mics directly when other factors are in play. EQ or compression might have been applied. Then different recording/performance venues.

In this 68 recording Ella's voice sounds smoother, less strident than the 74 Ronnie Scotts. Probably partly the mic but then the whole mix sounds darker and more compressed/limited. The audience applause also sounds less strident. Just the mics?

https://youtu.be/o5WQfkRZKFc
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous