You are here

The Focusrite Liquid Mix - Still Relavant?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: The Focusrite Liquid Mix - Still Relavant?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:12 pm

Dave B wrote:
All gone into fairly recently as to _why_ in another thread (possibly in the mac forum) - when most sensible people read the facts behind it's end of life-ing, they understand. You want to slate them for the fact that since 2006 (8 years ago) OS and DAW people have made insane changes to their products then fine .. but that's ignoring the realities that product makers face.

It might be worth going into here as well - I've not seen the explanation so it was probably limited to Mac users.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby RKS » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Dave B wrote:
All gone into fairly recently as to _why_ in another thread (possibly in the mac forum) - when most sensible people read the facts behind it's end of life-ing, they understand. You want to slate them for the fact that since 2006 (8 years ago) OS and DAW people have made insane changes to their products then fine .. but that's ignoring the realities that product makers face.

It might be worth going into here as well - I've not seen the explanation so it was probably limited to Mac users.

To be fair to Focusrite, it is a quirk of Windows 8 which is causing issues. W8 is perfectly capable of running the LM and I have never had the stability issues aside from a problem with my system as a whole which was fixed with a 4gb to 8gb RAM upgrade.
RKS
Poster

Postby The.Holographic.Empire » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 am

Reviving a dead thread in 2020.

Apologies... but the record needs to be set straight.

Look, the EQ is something you'll need to work with, but really? There are great parametric EQ plugins out there, some included with your DAW. EQ is not rocket science... Compressors might as well be. Well recorded signal doesn't need a lot of EQ work anyhow... Skip 'em if you can't reconcile something you like. Just stick with the compressors.

Bottom line: The compressors you get with this? Sure... a few duds, but the ones that are good... they're solid. For $50, you won't walk away with anything better.

Got my LM for $50. Nice just to take my hands off my mouse in the work flow, and listen critically. Also why I got the VS-100 with the motorized fader. Makes tracking volume and effects envelopes a breeze, and I can watch the slider move on the playback.. not the screen.

Input monitoring + LM. Wonderful. VS-100, VERY low latency, as to be imperceptible.

Likewise, all these silly people (no offense) talking about letting LM go cause they have 64 bit systems/DAWs... That's misleading and uneducated. Maybe it was true at the time of their posts... but I seriously doubt it, as most of what I'm using to work around predates these posts...

Someone is always going to tell you to spend more. I'm telling you.. the returns for the cash past a certain point are pointless... Just measuring members.

Last I checked... ears are 20-20k. That hasn't changed since 2009, has it?

Liquid Mix will import at 32 into 64 bit DAW/Systems. No delay on tracks.

Grab the legacy firewire, (No firewire? Grab an expansion card for PCI(-E) or USB adapter.) and get to mixing.

Fair warning... may have to boot OS in mode to disable driver signatures for the initial install....

Glad everyone talks trash... let me get mine REAL cheap. Better than current iterations of FabFilter, etc. Trust.

$80 1080p 27" Monitor@2560x1440@125 DPI to see more on the DAW (yes, you can)
$30 Complete Shuttle Core 2 Quad w/4GB of Ram & onboard 1394 (Used from Goodwill Computer Works)
$50 250 GB SSD (Used)
$20 200 series nVidia (Used)
$25 Windows 10, 64 bit. (New)
$40 Sonar X2 (New)
$80 Lexicon MX-200 (Used)
$50 Liquid Mix (Used)
$120 SM Beta58 (Used)
$50 SM57 (Used)
$110 Marshall 990 Condenser Mic (New)
$220 - ART MPA I Digital (Used)
$100 - Swapped Tubes/Caps for MPA I Digital (New)
COAX SPDIF@96/24 to:
$125 - Roland VS-100 Interface over USB (Used)
$20 - Audio Technica MT50x (pawn shop - $5 new ear covers. Soldered new 3.5)
$100 Presonus Eris 3.5" Studio Monitors (new)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
$1,220 - Equals from NOTHING to Absolutely Professional Recordings

Seriously, I'll stack my noise floor, transparency, mix and tone against yours, any day.

Sonic difference between this setup and gear@6 times the cost? Negligible, and trivial.

If you have time... work the mix and save your cash. You'll get what you're looking for.

Really hope someone reads this.

Forget the i7, RTX, etc, etc,... seriously.. This will work for 95% of you, unless Beyonce is LITERALLY asking you to bring in the beat.... even then, just hand her the mic and subscribe to Acrade Output.

And before I get beat up on for extolling the virtues of using old equipment to save money, these emoji's above this text window are straight from 2005.

:beamup:

Happy studio-ing?
The.Holographic.Empire

Postby Zukan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Yo Elf, get your ass in here.
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 pm

Not a Liquid Mix user, here, Zukey.

I use a pair of Liquid Channels, which will stay with me until my hands can no longer grip them. Fabulous, misunderstood and massively underrated pre's, but pure gold for those in the know.

I think maybe the LC (and LM) was subject to the same kind of binary thinking that permeates the synth world right now 'analogue good - digital bad', in the way that the world once believed 'digital good - analogue bad'. Of course it's nonsense, but some of us can benefit from that kind of nonsense!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:16 pm

The.Holographic.Empire wrote:Reviving a dead thread in 2020.

Threads don’t die. After a short period of youthful exuberance, they lie down to sleep, only to occasionally wake up in the decades to come.

It’s murmured that very few stay young much longer, they often have to do with lies about previous poster and suchlike. There’s certainly a portrait hidden in the attic, for these..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous