You are here

Problem checking audio

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Problem checking audio

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:21 pm

As a person of some {cough} maturity, I'm used to loss of top end, and can to some degree compensate for it. Also the odd ear clicks when swallowing are fairly easy to get round, but the one than becoming more of a problem is a variety of sounds due to arthritis in my neck (I suffered a whiplash injury when in my 20s).

This is particularly bad when monitoring on headphones as the sound appears to come right in the centre, where mono info would be. It can be anything from a faint click, a loud pop or a sort of scratching sound, and is quite unpredictable. I've lost count of the times I rewound a track to listen again thinking I've heard a defect.

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so how do you deal with it?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Problem checking audio

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Not yet. I'll add it to the list of things to look forward to. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:33 pm

That doesn't sound like fun at all Will. If polled in the street, I'd (naively) have expected internal body noises to be distinguishable from external audio but that's obviously not the case.

Does it manifest even when you're keeping still, or is it only when you move?
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Folderol » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 pm

It's head movements that triggers it, but not consistently, just looking down at the keyboard might give a click, then again it might not. The source of the noise is the top two vertebrae, so pretty central. I think that having headphone on makes it harder to distinguish because I'm not then getting any external references.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 am

I had thoughts of a chair with an integrated head-rest that supports your noggin gently right and left (like some long-haul airlines offer, but better) but that doesn't help with the vertical stuff of course.

In your situation, my 'pragmatic' genes would probably kick in and I'd try and learn to ignore any random noises on the premise that they may not be in the audio, complete whatever task I was doing regardless and then review it to make sure.

Maybe not that helpful but it's a tough one. My hope is that there is no physical discomfort associated with the whole business.

In a few years I fully expect most of my toes, my left foot, left wrist, right hip and right shoulder to give me all kinds of problems for many reasons, some not unrelated. Touch wood, so far not too bad though I'm a few months short of the half century so there's a little while for them to start grumbling (one hopes!).

In the event that I'm wrong in my deity-related views (strictly speaking I'm agnostic, not atheist), I do not expect to turn up at the pearly gates (or the portcullis of doom) intact; not by a long shot. This vessel has been lived in! ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:26 am

I don’t get the clicks, just occasionally sinus silliness. But being down to about 11k the only comforting solution I have found is to send mixes to a buddy to doublecheck.

There once was a track with metal wind chimes that the bottom was rolled off on that I thought was an empty track, and yet the meters were moving . . . . .
:headbang:

Perhaps the buddy system will work for you. You are probably hypersensitive to the slightest click now that you are always looking out for them.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 am

On a practical level...

1. If you hear a noise, stop and run the section again...a real problem will show up at the same spot, where a skeletal click won't.

2. Don't worry too much about it. Noises schmoises. If something gets past you, it's unlikely to matter all that much. If it does, it can be dealt with.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:30 am

Jack Ruston wrote:On a practical level...

1. If you hear a noise, stop and run the section again...a real problem will show up at the same spot, where a skeletal click won't.
J

Yes, I do that on finished tracks (can get a bit tedious sometimes), but I also do some development work on the audio software itself, and am acutely aware of the possibility of making 'improvements' that end up creating discontinuities :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Jack Ruston wrote:2. Don't worry too much about it. Noises schmoises. If something gets past you, it's unlikely to matter all that much. If it does, it can be dealt with.

I've just been transferring multiple versions of a fairly well known hit song. On just about every version there's a big click near the start of the second verse which sounds like a digital glitch (though it was all analogue). I'd guess that when it was first released everyone would have put it down to a scratch on the record.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Apropos of nothing I seem to remember Welcome to the Pleasuredome listed the clicks on the album cover.

As I seem to have been aging a bit I decided to to some head motion tests with unplugged headphones on. I never realised what a noisy neck I have!
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:Apropos of nothing I seem to remember Welcome to the Pleasuredome listed the clicks on the album cover.

It did. It came out in 1984 and was one of the very early popular CDs. The industry was very nervous about the CD format, and so thought it helpful to tell people which glitches were on the source material so they wouldn't blame the CD itself!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound