You are here

Lexicon PCM reverb question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Lexicon PCM reverb question

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 am

I have been graced with some funds (up to $350) and would like to get the Lexicon reverb plugins to use for mixing.

I love the way that the Lexicon reverbs sound.

So I am planing to get this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon/PC ... ownload.gc

If anyone knows of a better option, I would appreciate that.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Re: Lexicon PCM reverb question

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 am

UAD excluded, the Relab Development Lexi 480 is supposed to be pretty good, you have a free trial. Was on sale just a couple days ago. :( Hopefully will be again soon.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby desmond » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 am

DC-Choppah wrote:I have been graced with some funds (up to $350) and would like to get the Lexicon reverb plugins to use for mixing.

So I am planing to get this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon/PC ... ownload.gc

Well, don't get that, as that's the "Native Effects" bundle, which is all the Lexicon PCM effects *other* than reverb.

If you want the PCM reverbs, you'll need the "Native Reverb" bundle instead - this one:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon/PC ... 8317078.gc
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby awjoe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:14 am

desmond wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:I have been graced with some funds (up to $350) and would like to get the Lexicon reverb plugins to use for mixing.

Well, don't get that, as that's the "Native Effects" bundle, which is all the Lexicon PCM effects *other* than reverb.

If you want the PCM reverbs, you'll need the "Native Reverb" bundle instead - this one:

I've got the LXP bundle, and it's great. I can almost replicate the Lexicon sound in Fabfilter Pro-R alone, but not quite, if you know what I mean.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm

There's Exponential Audio stuff to consider maybe? Designed by ex-Lex 'verb guru.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:44 am

desmond wrote:

Doh! Thank you kindly.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:07 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:There's Exponential Audio stuff to consider maybe? Designed by ex-Lex 'verb guru.

Thank you. I checked the exponential audio stuff out. I love the reverb tail control. These sound very good. Similar to Lexicon but with sone more controls.

The adaptiverb from Zynaptiq sounds neat too, but I am wondering if this is for music or more for special sound design effects?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:11 am

Lexicon PCM Reverb bundle installed now.

Once my ears got used to these reverbs, other stock reverbs sound grainy and with stick outs and wall slaps. These Lexicon PCM reverbs are very musical and don't seem to have anything that sticks above the music even when you push on all the knobs.

The Halls definitely sound great as sends, not inserts. Seems like the more interesting the sources going in, the more the reverb does. Like the grand piano wakes up the reverb quite differently than a MIDI piano does. Very cool!!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 am

DC-Choppah wrote:Seems like the more interesting the sources going in, the more the reverb does. Like the grand piano wakes up the reverb quite differently than a MIDI piano does. Very cool!!

This is very true, and I've always found that acoustic sources excite effects more, mainly because there are subtle pitch variations on every note with acoustic instruments, this produces a slight chorusing effect which makes things sound richer, more dense. Also, acoustic sounds are richer in harmonics generally than electronic ones.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Arpangel wrote:I've always found that acoustic sources excite effects more, mainly because there are subtle pitch variations on every note with acoustic instruments, this produces a slight chorusing effect which makes things sound richer, more dense.

Now that's a fascinating thought that make sense! :thumbup:

Arpangel wrote:Also, acoustic sounds are richer in harmonics generally than electronic ones.

Now there I beg to differ :thumbdown:

Acoustic sounds might have more noise/thwack/out-of-tune elements, particularly during the attack phase, but I'd maintain that the majority of electronic sounds contain a noticeable richer harmonic contribution for the remainder of the note than those of acoustic sounds.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:31 am

Man, I have been playing with this for a while now. The Waves TrueVerb is great as an insert. Makes the source sound like it was recorded in a great room, even though I have a dead (on purpose) space. Waves TrueVerb wants to be an insert,

Then the Lexicon stuff is great as a send. The Halls really sound good as a send that everybody gets a piece of. Great combo!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster