You are here

Mix advice / Feedback wanted

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix advice / Feedback wanted

Postby rikki rivett » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:47 pm

Not sure whether this request is in line with forum etiquette, but if not , someone'll put me right-anyway:

I have 3 tracks commissioned for a music library which they like a lot but they've asked me to work on the mix and although my ears aren't bad, I feel a bit out of my depth.

2 comments: "it sounds a bit like it's coming out of a home stereo" and "the mix needs more depth, focus and contrast between the elements". If anyone's willing to give a quick listen that'd be great, here's a Soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/nw-coursera/sets/sos-feedback-wanted/s-PZqp4

-Trampoline 2 -is kind of quirky EDM, this was the one where the "home stereo" comment came

-Boris 2
and
-In The Grass 2

..are both more moody, underscore- type tracks where the request was for " more depth, focus and contrast".

The material gets properly mastered before being published, I should emphasise, so I don't need to make it sound fat and full-scale. And it's intended for TV so the bass doesn't need to go low. The two more moody tracks will generally be behind dialogue so it was suggested that pad elements could be "taken out of the middle" , something I have zero experience of.

I just bought Mike Senior's book "Mixing Secrets..etc"...well it can't hurt!! I'm also considering trying EQ match plugins like Neutron and maybe Expose/Reference from Mastering The Mix. Yes, friends, I plan to become an expert in just 48 hours..."men, it can be done!!" as Charles Atlas said in the comics I read as a lad....

I've considered getting someone to mix the stems but if I can crack it myself that'd be much preferable, a good learning experience and no extra cost...

Anyhow...I have 3 days to deliver, and I know there are good brains and wise ears out there, so if you have a few minutes to spare and are curious, have a listen and hit me with your comments

-thaaaank yooouuuu!!!

Rikki Rivett
rikki rivett
Poster

Re: Mix advice / Feedback wanted

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:26 pm

From a quick listen I'd suggest that there's too much reliance of reverb, and the drums, in particular, lack bite. It all sounds a bit distant and 'polite'.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:41 pm

Not an area i know anything about but, well, you asked...
Trampoline is quite middy. Especially those lead synth lines. This might be what's driving the 'home stereo' comments?
Boris - hmm not sure what the feedback means really, but most of the sounds are quite 'nice' - maybe try adding a bit of distortion or bitcrusher effects to some of the lines to give it some edge?
No suggestions for the third one I'm afraid.
As to cutting the middle on the pads, well you could duplicate the pad to another track, set it to mono and invert the polarity. Bring this up gradually and you should get some cancellation of the mid in the original pad. I did something similar at the weekend but now can't remember what i did - but basically it gave me the sides only signal.
There are probably simpler ways though!

Edit - the Elf beat me to it and with more pertinent advice.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby rikki rivett » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:22 am

@ TheElf @Blinddrew thanks- helpful comments!
RR
rikki rivett
Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:14 am

Just a fresh set of ears here. If it was me, I would try to get the whole thing off the rigid tempo grid and let it breath a bit in time. Also add some swing to the rythm parts. Sounds like a canned drum machine to me which is plain.

The sounds are great, but nothing is up front and takes the lead in the arrangement. Give each section a lead guy and put him up front. I need a lead voice in each section not a constant blend of things at unchanging levels. So the mix ha to breath too at its own tempo to capture my interest.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster