You are here

The sound of a mix - Sultans of Swing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: The sound of a mix - Sultans of Swing

Postby ceejay » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:41 am

I'm sure everyone here has a similar experience ... but I can't listen to Sultans of Swing any more because my brain takes me back to a recording I made with a local band nearly fifteen years ago and the drummer just couldn't get it. I ended up having to edit virtually every beat to get something usable and the thought gives me the horrors ...
ceejay
Regular

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:02 pm

ceejay wrote:I'm sure everyone here has a similar experience...

Yes... :silent: :-| :? :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Mine was many years ago and the song in question was "Here Comes The Sun" our drummer of the day just couldn't get it, even the WAGs were tapping it out on the tables (I'm sure you all know which bit I mean.....) but he never did get it right.

It didn't prevent me listening to the song though, or playing it with other drummers (IIRC, he didn't last beyond the first gig).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:51 pm

Similar experience, for totally different reasons, with "Sound of Silence" by Paul Simon.
I was 11 or 12 and that was one of the first songs, if not the first, that really caught my ear and made me discover music (which by to that point had been nothing more than irrelevant noise in that background, usually emitted by my sister's pocket radio). I went on asking my grandfather if I could use his old nylon string guitar, hanging from the wall, and he said "sure, why not", saved pennies for a score book (the "concert in central park", I think) and proceeded trying to learn the songs. Which of course sounded nothing like as they were (simplistically) written on the chord line in the score.

But I listened and tried to play "Silence" for months, day in day out, never quite figuring out why it wasn't really sounding like the record, but making up a version of my own that was reasonably good and played it around a lot.

A couple years later I discovered the electric guitar, and "Silence" had become so trite to me that I couldn't listen and play it anymore. It took over 30 years to be able to listen to it again with some appreciation (and in 2018, at Paul's Farewell tour concert, I was actually able to sing it with him without cringing). It's still a great, amazing song, but like any good thing, there can be too much of it!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous