You are here

IK Multimedia - T-RackS 5

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

IK Multimedia - T-RackS 5

Postby John Egan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi All,
I recently bought IK Multimedia T-RackS 5 and I am impressed with it. I am using it in stand-alone mode. I do have a (quite likely stupid) question, however.

How do I use it as a plugin?

The manual says it is possible but for the life of me, I can't see a plugin version. What am I missing?

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Re: IK Multimedia - T-RackS 5

Postby Ramirez » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:45 pm

The individual processors are available as plugins, but I don’t think the entire program is. They should have been installed automatically.

I like the plugins, though I only occasionally use the stand-alone mode.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby John Egan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Ramirez wrote:The individual processors are available as plugins, but I don’t think the entire program is. They should have been installed automatically.

Yes, I have used the individual plugins as well as using them in T-RackS 5 stand-alone mode and I have come to the conclusion that there is no shell plugin available, but that doesn't seem to equate with the Ik Multimedia description. I'll contact them for an explanation.

Regards, john
John Egan
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Yes there is, the plugin name you're looking for is TR5 Suite (this is for the VST3 version, VST2 and AU names sometimes differ slightly).
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby innerchord » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:53 am

Rich Hanson wrote:Yes there is, the plugin name you're looking for is TR5 Suite (this is for the VST3 version, VST2 and AU names sometimes differ slightly).
Rich is correct. Look for the Suite and you'll get the 'shell' plugin loading up.

I'm a huge fan of the new IK stuff. Some of their recent work has been up there with the best I've heard. It used to be quite bad... ;)
innerchord
Regular

Postby John Egan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks Rich and Innerchord. I will look for the TR5 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Suite plugin later today when I am in the studio.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am

Rich Hanson wrote:Yes there is, the plugin name you're looking for is TR5 Suite (this is for the VST3 version, VST2 and AU names sometimes differ slightly).

Ah yes of course!

But, from memory, I think that only allows you to 'host' chains of plugins, and has the metering suite baked-in. I don't think it allows the metadata/exporting functions of the standalone. I could well be wrong on this.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:43 am

Ah well, that part I don't know about as I don't use it myself. I just knew it was there :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby innerchord » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 pm

Ramirez wrote:[But, from memory, I think that only allows you to 'host' chains of plugins, and has the metering suite baked-in. I don't think it allows the metadata/exporting functions of the standalone. I could well be wrong on this.
You're right, but who wants to master from a plugin inside their DAW?
innerchord
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:14 pm

innerchord wrote:You're right, but who wants to master from a plugin inside their DAW?

Well... iZotope Ozone users?

Actually, it happens all the time - it's not a workflow I like, but it's common for folks to mix/master all on the mix bus in the same project and deliver hard limited final mixes.

I much prefer to output a good mix, and then master separately, but then I'm a bit more "old school" in this regard...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby John Egan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:38 pm

innerchord wrote:
Rich is correct. Look for the Suite and you'll get the 'shell' plugin loading up.

I'm a huge fan of the new IK stuff. Some of their recent work has been up there with the best I've heard. It used to be quite bad... ;)

Rich and Innerchord, I have found the TR5 Suite plugin. I don't know how I missed it on several passes, but I obviously did. Thanks very much for the info.

I went for the TRackS 5 bundle because of a very positive earlier SOS review.

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby John Egan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 pm

desmond wrote:
innerchord wrote:You're right, but who wants to master from a plugin inside their DAW?

Actually, it happens all the time - it's not a workflow I like, but it's common for folks to mix/master all on the mix bus in the same project and deliver hard limited final mixes.

I much prefer to output a good mix, and then master separately, but then I'm a bit more "old school" in this regard...

I wasn't looking to master in my DAW, but I currently use Sound Forge to master and burn CDs and wanted to do a comparison between mastering using TRackS 5 as a plugin within SF and TRackS as a stand-alone (which I thinkmay well give me greater flexibility).

Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby innerchord » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 pm

desmond wrote:

I meant using the file facilities of TR5. It doesn't make sense that you would want to compile and process tracks from within a track itself. I didn't mean applying master bus processing, which we all do.
innerchord
Regular

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 am

innerchord wrote:
desmond wrote:

I meant using the file facilities of TR5. It doesn't make sense that you would want to compile and process tracks from within a track itself. I didn't mean applying master bus processing, which we all do.

Well, I would really like if the plugin allowed me to create DDPs etc. from within Reaper without having to use the hack that’s currently implemented.

Something like Pyramix’s mastering (and 4-point editing) features would make Reaper close to perfect for me. But if a plugin could add that feature, why not?
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru